Fix wall and fix npt for charmmgui generated system

i generated a lammps system using charmmgui for a ~10000 atoms protein with 40 angstroms of water around it so that my protein has plenty of space to swim around.

im trying to use fix wall/harmonic at the edges of the simulation box to avoid parts of the protein wrapping around periodic boundary conditions. one problem with the input generated by charmmgui is that some water molecules have coordinate(s) outside the simulation box.

i tried delete_atoms to remove water molecules that might either straddle, or are too close to, the edges of the simulation box so i can put a fix wall/harmonic there. however i’m getting:

ERROR on proc 0: Bond atom missing in image check (src/domain.cpp:794)

even though i use both bonds yes and mol yes in my delete_atoms command.

is this a bug ?

since my original system is >200mb, i made a minimal example with a small protein (PDB 6DNY) with 68 atoms and 20A of water around it. the commands i added to default charmmgui generated minimization script are enclosed by # <<< and # >>>. full inputs in zip file below.

6dny-min.in:

echo            none
variable        dcdfreq index 50
variable        outputname index step4.0_minimization 

units           real
boundary        p p p

newton          off
pair_style      lj/charmmfsw/coul/long 10 12
pair_modify     mix arithmetic
kspace_style    pppm 1e-6

atom_style      full
bond_style      harmonic
angle_style     charmm
dihedral_style  charmmfsw
special_bonds   charmm
improper_style  harmonic
timestep        1

fix             cmap all cmap charmmff.cmap
fix_modify      cmap energy yes
read_data       step3_input.data fix cmap crossterm CMAP

neighbor        1 bin
neigh_modify    delay 5 every 1

velocity        all create 303.15 42273 dist gaussian
include         restraints/constraint_angletype

fix             1 all nvt temp 303.15 303.15 100.0

shell           sed -e "s/\$bb/1.0/g" -e "s/\$sc/0.1/g" step3_input.col > restraints/${outputname}.col
fix             restraint all colvars restraints/${outputname}.col output ${outputname}

# <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

variable edge equal 4
region          edges block $(xlo+v_edge) $(xhi-v_edge) $(ylo+v_edge) $(yhi-v_edge) $(zlo+v_edge) $(zhi-v_edge) side out
delete_atoms    region edges compress no bond yes mol yes
write_data 6dny-min-after-delete_atoms.data

#change_box all x delta -8 8 y delta -8 8 z delta -8 8 units box
#reset_atoms image all

#fix            4 all wall/harmonic &
                  xlo $(xlo+4) 1000.0 0.0 4.0 xhi $(xhi-4) 1000.0 0.0 4.0 &
                  ylo $(ylo+4) 1000.0 0.0 4.0 yhi $(yhi-4) 1000.0 0.0 4.0 &
                  zlo $(zlo+4) 1000.0 0.0 4.0 zhi $(zhi-4) 1000.0 0.0 4.0 &
                  pbc yes units box

#fix_modify      4 energy yes

# >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

thermo          ${dcdfreq}
thermo_style    custom step time xlo xhi ylo yhi zlo zhi etotal pe ke temp press ebond eangle edihed eimp evdwl ecoul elong temp vol 
dump            1 all dcd ${dcdfreq} ${outputname}.dcd
dump_modify     1 unwrap yes

min_style       cg
minimize        0.0 1.0e-8 10000 20000

write_dump      all custom ${outputname}.dump id type x y z vx vy vz ix iy iz
write_data      ${outputname}.data

i’m aware of the “WARNING: System is not charge neutral, net charge = -5” but this only happens in the minimal example since some of the ions are close to the edges and get deleted by coincidence. this doesn’t happen in my original much larger system.

Large-scale Atomic/Molecular Massively Parallel Simulator - 17 Apr 2024
Git info (develop / patch_17Apr2024-8-g628531dadb)

charmmgui-6dny.zip (930.8 KB)

It would probably be simpler to just edit the data file and change the lo/hi values of the box to include all atoms in any non-periodic direction. If you want to add walls, it may be a good idea to add a little extra space, so you don’t get too large forces on the atoms close to the box boundaries when adding the wall(s). You can safely do that, since the image flags for all atoms are zero (the default when not specified) and thus the changing of the box dimensions does not change the positions (as it would for non-zero image flags).

viel danke @akohlmey

i prefer not to manually find the min/max of x,y,z and edit the data file because my systems are typically >1M atoms. since this is a common bug from charmmgui generating atom positions outside the simulation box, i want a reproducible walkaround in lammps code to add to default charmmgui generated minimization script.

first i tried

change_box all x final $(min(x[i])-3) $(max(x[i])+3)  &
  y final $(min(y[i])-3) $(max(y[i])+3)   &
  z final $(min(z[i])-3) $(max(z[i])+3)  &
  units box

but i got:

ERROR: Invalid special function in variable formula (src/variable.cpp:4470)

then i tried

compute xmin all reduce min x
change_box all x final $(c_xmin-3) units box

but i got

ERROR: Variable formula compute cannot be invoked before initialization by a run (src/variable.cpp:1523)

so then

run 0

and i still got

WARNING: No fixes with time integration, atoms won’t move (src/verlet.cpp:60)
ERROR: Variable formula compute cannot be invoked before initialization by a run (src/variable.cpp:1523)

im ok with atoms not moving. it’s actually what i want to catch the atoms outside the simulation box before they get non-zero image flags

Check out bound function on the manual page for variable. It should be exactly what you want.

1 Like

But also, if you know CHARMMGUI makes a 40A box, why not just manually set the box size to 44A or some similar margin? It’s a sed one-liner:

sed -i 's/.*\([xyz]\)lo.*/-2 42 \1lo \1hi/' myfile.data

(or whatever your start and stop numbers are in each dimension) and you know beforehand exactly what box size to use in LAMMPS too.

(You could also use change_box in LAMMPS to the same effect – the trick is to compute property/atom xu yu zu before run 0 and then use set to set the wrapped coordinates in the new, bigger box to their unwrapped previous values.)

For this to work you need to put compute xmin ... before run 0. I think.

The way you’ve set it up in the post quote, LAMMPS does a run 0, including calculating all computes* and variables it knows about, and then you tell it to compute xmin ... – by which point you need another run 0.

*The compute has to have a “consumer” that uses it to make an output, so you also need something like

thermo_style custom c_xmin

to tell LAMMPS it really, really needs to run that compute, I think.

that’s what i did based on @mkanski’s tip about bound group function of variable. For future googlers, here’s the solution:

change_box all &
    x final $(bound(all,xmin)-5) $(bound(all,xmax)+5) &
    y final $(bound(all,ymin)-5) $(bound(all,ymax)+5) &
    z final $(bound(all,zmin)-5) $(bound(all,zmax)+5) &
    units box

variable xmin equal $(xlo)
variable xmax equal $(xhi)
variable ymin equal $(ylo)
variable ymax equal $(yhi)
variable zmin equal $(zlo)
variable zmax equal $(zhi)

fix 4 all wall/harmonic &
    xlo v_xmin 1000 0 5 xhi v_xmax 1000 0 5 &
    ylo v_ymin 1000 0 5 yhi v_ymax 1000 0 5 &
    zlo v_zmin 1000 0 5 zhi v_zmax 1000 0 5 &
    pbc yes units box

However this was a futile attempt to implement walls and equilibrate with NPT because “it is odd to do NPT on a dimension where you also have a wall. The two commands are competing with each other.” as @sjplimp said years ago. I got the classic

ERROR: Non-numeric pressure - simulation unstable (src/fix_nh.cpp:1039)

when running the charmmgui equilibration script with fix npt.

In the end, i went back to the original charmmgui minimization script with no changes even if some water and ion particles are outside simulation box and get non-zero image flags.

My protein is solvated with a margin of 40A water around it. My goal was to avoid the protein wrapping itself around PBCs

so instead i used a fix wall/harmonic only on the protein atoms and let the water and ions cross periodic boundaries (so that fix npt would work) as suggested in the documentation: “But you may wish to use a periodic box. E.g. to allow some particles to interact with the wall via the fix group-ID, and others to pass through it and wrap around a periodic box.”

# -- DUMP ALL EXCEPT WATER MOLECULES (PROTEIN AND IONS) --

group solv type 13 41
group protein_ions subtract all solv
dump 1 protein_ions dcd 1 2q3z-extra-equil.dcd

# ----- FIX WALL PROTEIN ONLY -----

group protein_only subtract protein_ions k na ca mg cl

variable xmin equal $(xlo)
variable xmax equal $(xhi)
variable ymin equal $(ylo)
variable ymax equal $(yhi)
variable zmin equal $(zlo)
variable zmax equal $(zhi)

fix 4 protein_only wall/harmonic &
    xlo v_xmin 1000 0 5 xhi v_xmax 1000 0 5 &
    ylo v_ymin 1000 0 5 yhi v_ymax 1000 0 5 &
    zlo v_zmin 1000 0 5 zhi v_zmax 1000 0 5 &
    pbc yes units box

Please note that fix wall needs to have variable positions to stay at the edges of the simulation box as fix npt continuously changes the volume to adjust pressure.

(Side random comment): the figure is so beautiful… :ooo
Almost made me start looking for postdocs involving biorelated stuff haha

thanks for the compliment @ceciliaalvares

to reproduce in ChimeraX app,

open 4pyg-3mM.psf coords 4pyg-3mM.dcd
rainbow residues target c
surface #1 transparency 62 color gray replace true
surface enclose  :277,335,358 color white replace false
show :ASP,GLU atoms
color @cal deep pink
1 Like

Much simpler to

fix 1 protein recenter INIT INIT INIT shift all

More valid too, since you do not add spurious forces, which could be relevant to the barostatting.

1 Like

wow @srtee thanks !

almost an entire week of work solved by a one-liner :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: