COMB3 too slow (compared to Reax/C)

Dear all,

I am experimenting with the COMB3 potential to model a system of Zn/O/H and possibly Ti. I started a simulation with <3000 atoms, and it seems to be running well expect for the fact that it is too slow. When I try simulating the system with Reax/C (which also has the parameters for Zn/O/H) speed up is around ~5-10 times of the COMB3. I am wondering if I am doing anything wrong.

I am using lammps-31Mar17 on NERSC resources, and the code is available as a module.

Here is my input file, and for the qeq/reax I used 1E-6 as the convergence criterion.

units metal
    atom_style charge
    boundary p p p
    read_data data.in

mass 1 1.00
    mass 2 16.0
    mass 3 65.4

pair_style comb3 polar_off
    pair_coeff * * ffield.comb3 H O Zn
    fix qeq all qeq/comb 10 1E-3 # tried to speed up, was 1 1E-3

neighbor 2.0 bin
    neigh_modify every 1 delay 0 check yes

dump 1 all custom 2000 nano.lammpstrj element x y z
    dump_modify 1 sort id element H O Zn append yes

timestep 2E-4

thermo_style custom step time temp press vol pe etotal enthalpy
    thermo_modify flush yes
    thermo 2000

# equilibrate charge first; minimization hangs indefinitely otherwise
    fix 1 all nvt temp 300.0 300.0 0.1
    thermo 1
    run 1
    fix 2 all qeq/comb 1 0.003 file fq.out
    run 5

# minimize
    unfix 1
    fix 1 all box/relax aniso 0.0 vmax 0.0002
    minimize 1.0E-8 1.0E-10 10000 100000
    write_data data.in
    unfix 1

displace_atoms all random 0.08 0.08 0.08 328
    fix nvt all nvt temp 300.0 300.0 20
    run 1000000

Best,
Sencer

Factor of 5-10 seems a bit much. Are you using “real” units and changing timestep appropriately for ReaxFF? If you have a slow disk I/O, then not writing fq.out might help (remove "file fq.out” from fix qeq/comb).

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the answer. Yes I use the real units and the proper timestep value with reax. Also, I don't actually output the fq.out, the second qeq was (and the whole minimization part) was commented out in my tests, as I first did the minimization separately.

I understand that there is nothing obviously wrong in my input file then, right?

Best,
Sencer

Hi Sencer,

No real problem with your script, but please note that the last instance of a command is the effective one, therefore the following line is the effective “fix qeq/comb” for your minimization and long-time production NVT run:

fix 2 all qeq/comb 1 0.003 file fq.out

So you didn’t actually use a larger Nfreq and turn off writing the fq.out file.

Ray