dcd file in HPC

Hi dear lammps experts
I run a simulation in HPC and download my dcd dump file in my computer.
when i try to open it in vmd , i get a error " read_dcdstep: corruption or unrecognized file structure" .
is it true that dcd dump (that is a binary file) file generated in other computers cant be displayed in my computer?
i appreciate if anybody help me.
thanks

Hi dear lammps experts
I run a simulation in HPC and download my dcd dump file in my computer.
when i try to open it in vmd , i get a error " read_dcdstep: corruption or unrecognized file structure" .
is it true that dcd dump (that is a binary file) file generated in other computers cant be displayed in my computer?

No. Even if you would be running your simulation on a big endian machine (which is highly unlikely these days, but was quite common 15-20 years ago when VMD was originally developed), VMD will automatically swap the bytes for as long as it uses IEEE754 compliant floating point (which has been the case on any machine for a very, very long time. you were likely not born when non-compliant machines were in use for simulations).

It is more likely that you damaged the file yourself by transferring it in text mode from a machine with LF-only line endings (e.g. Linux) to a machine with CR-LF line endings (e.g. Windows), or by transferring a file > 2GB to a file system that is limited to files with 2GB size.

Axel.

thanks dear prof.kohmeyer
the HPC machine is operating system is Linux and my machine operating system is windows.
is it possible to convert a binary file generated in Linux to windows binary file?
(e.g with changing its line ending)
omid.

You are not paying attention. I find that very irritating.

For the last time: you do not need any conversion. VMD can read the Linux generated binary file on Windows. Lots of people do this all the time. Actually there is no difference in binary files on Windows on x86 CPUs and Linux on x86 CPUs, since they are both are little endian architectures. But even if there was a difference in endianness, say you were running on a SPARC CPU with Solaris or an IBM Power CPU with AIX (not Linux), or HP-PA CPU with HP-UX, then VMD can still read those files on Windows (or Linux) on x86, for as long as they are not damaged.

The differences in format between Windows and Linux, and where a conversion would be necessary, are in text files, which dcd files are not.

Like I suspected before, it is you that must have damaged the file somehow, possibly while transferring it. It is either truncated due to file system limitations, or you did the transfer in text mode instead of binary mode, or you have a corrupted filesystem due to a broken harddrive or SSD, or you have defective RAM or insufficient cooling or anything else that can change the file while moving it around. This all has nothing to do with LAMMPS and thus something for you to sort out by yourself or by asking in more appropriate forums. It is far outside the scope of this mailing list.

Axel.

Thanks a lot.