Defining a Piston with a reflective wall

Hello,

When I run the following script, it does what I think it (should) do. I am essentially defining a lattice of Nickel atoms and then using a piston to drive a shock-wave through the lattice. Seems all good. Then I added the fix wall/reflect command and I get the following error: Domain too large for neighbor bins. This tells me that my simulation must be blowing up. However, I am just trying to add the command to reflect the particles when they hit the wall (as if they hit an interface with another material).

My piston is defined in the z-direction (low end) and the command I added which caused the script to crash was:

fix wallhi all wall/lj93 zhi EDGE 1.0 1.0 2.5

Which I thought meant would apply a reflective wall at the edge of the lattice in the upper z-direction. Where have I gone wrong here?

(full script below)

units metal
boundary p p s
atom_style atomic
lattice fcc 3.52 orient x 1 0 0 orient y 0 1 0 orient z 0 0 1 origin 0 0 0
region box block 0 10 0 10 0 50
create_box 2 box
create_atoms 2 box

pair_style eam
pair_coeff * * …/…/potentials/Ni_u3.eam

mass 1 58.693
mass 2 58.69

neighbor 0.3 bin
neigh_modify delay 5

variable time_step equal 0.005
timestep 0.0005

######################Variables###########################
variable density equal density
variable volume equal vol

dump 7 all xyz 100 piston.dump

compute new3d all temp
fix 1 all nve
fix 2 all wall/piston zlo pos 0 vel 10.0 units box
fix wallhi all wall/lj93 zhi EDGE 1.0 1.0 2.5

thermo 100
thermo_style custom step temp pe ke press vol lx ly lz pxx pyy pzz
thermo_modify temp new3d norm yes
run 10000
undump 5

Your box is filled with atoms from zlo to zhi, so when you place the LJ93 wall with the specified sigma, you have atoms on top of the wall or even on the other side of the wall. See the first NOTE in the doc page.

Two ways to fix this. 1. change your box so your zhi has some extra space with no atoms, then you can use the LJ93 wall 2. Use a reflect wall with no radius, such as wall/reflect.

Ray