Download and installation of binary

Thanks for your email Axel. I did try Yum install lammps-fedora-repo-1-2.noarch.rpm which is located on my computer, but it just tells me there is “nothing to do”…Maybe the problem is that I don’t have (?) a graphical package management tool? Should I download the “PackageKit”? Would that fix my problems? I noticed that no GUI showed up…but thought I might be able to do everything at the command line…
I know I don't have PackageKit presently.....

I am a bit of a novice here, and can't find a lammps executable (binary) to run...

Thanks, Steve

Hello
I have gone to the lammps home site and attempted to download lammp’s “pre-built binary RPMs for Fedora” for a fedora 18 OS. This takes me to the site http://rpm.lammps.org/install.html . I then used the su -c ‘yum…/’ to get the repository. The problem is that is all I get. I tried to install from there (using rpm -i package) but it fails. So, obviously I missing something fundamental. Can someone give a “charlie brown” instructions on how to download and install LAMMPS for fedora 18 ???

After installing the repository rpm, lammps packages should show up in the graphical package management tool. There are several packages available. A list and explanations are here

http://rpm.lammps.org/index.html

To install from the command line, you have to use yum, not rpm

Axel

Thanks for your email Axel. I did try Yum install lammps-fedora-repo-1-2.noarch.rpm which is located on my computer, but it just tells me there is “nothing to do”…Maybe the problem is that I don’t have (?) a graphical package management tool? Should I download the “PackageKit”? Would that fix my problems? I noticed that no GUI showed up…but thought I might be able to do everything at the command line…
I know I don’t have PackageKit presently…

You’re just repeating here what you already wrote. Yet you didn’t seem to have paid enough attention to what was in my response and on the webpage I pointed out. So please re-read and have a closer and more careful look.

I am a bit of a novice here, and can’t find a lammps executable (binary) to run…

What you did is to enable the repository, but not install a binary. Try:

yum install lammps

To install the serial executable package from the repository.

Axel