[EXTERNAL] Issue related to the Al-Cu bond order potential

Hi,

I think you are neglecting the influence of temperature/ kinetic energy.
Please use "thermo_temp" instead of NULL for your compute stress/atom. This should give you the same results.

regards
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

I believe there is something wrong with the computation of stress/atom in association with the bop potential implementation in the LAMMPS. Because I tested it with other EAM potentials and it is working fine. But for bop, it is not working.

I tried with thermo_temp instead of NULL in the stress/atom command.
I tried with 300 K

I tried for a bigger model.

I tried with PPP and SSS boundaries.

In all cases, the pressure tensor (pxx, pyy, pzz, and so on) is not equal to the negative of global stress tensor calculated through -(the sum of stresses calculated from stress/atom) / volume.

I would like to know if anyone is facing the similar problem. Maybe I will try few more times and I will update.

Thanks,
Mathiazhagan S

To be honest I’m facing a much more rudimentary problem at the moment. I tried running your script but as I didn’t have your datafile I just used create_box etc. But as LAMMPS gets to the run command it complains about masses not being set… Which seems strange to me. Maybe one of the core developers can comment? And like Mathiazhagan said, for EAM everything runs fine.

Reading potential file CuH.bop.table with DATE: 2015-07-06

Reading potential file CuH.bop.table with DATE: 2015-07-06

ERROR: Not all per-type masses are set (src/velocity.cpp:64)

Last command: velocity all create $T 12345 mom yes rot no

The corresponding input script:

variable T equal 0.01

units metal

dimension 3

boundary p p p

atom_style atomic

#read_data data.al2cu_sample.lmp

lattice fcc 3.597

region box block 0 5 0 5 0 5

create_box 2 box

create_atoms 1 box

set group all type/fraction 2 0.05 12345

pair_style bop

pair_coeff * * AlCu.bop.table Cu Al

#set type 1 mass 26.982000

#set type 2 mass 63.546000

#pair_style eam/alloy

#pair_coeff * * AlCu.eam.alloy Cu Al

comm_modify vel yes cutoff 14.0

timestep 0.001

velocity all create $T 12345 mom yes rot no

compute peratom all stress/atom NULL

compute p all reduce sum c_peratom[1] c_peratom[2] c_peratom[3]

variable press equal -(c_p[1]+c_p[2]+c_p[3])/(3*vol)

thermo 10

thermo_style custom step temp etotal press v_press

fix 1 all nvt temp ${T} $T 0.01

run 100

To be honest I’m facing a much more rudimentary problem at the moment. I tried running your script but as I didn’t have your datafile I just used create_box etc. But as LAMMPS gets to the run command it complains about masses not being set… Which seems strange to me. Maybe one of the core developers can comment?

nothing unusual happening here. EAM potential files contain atom masses (which are applied when the potential is read), while most other potential files don’t (so you have to set the masses explicitly).

axel.