[Install] Cannot connect to the dummy MongoDB

Hi,

I’m trying to get FireWorks installed on a compute cluster and cannot connect to the test database in the installation instructions.

I am creating a virtual environment with no site packages and with Python version 2.7.11. Then I simply pip install FireWorks.

Creating the file with exactly the credentials in the installation instructions results in:

ValueError: FireWorks was not able to connect to MongoDB. Is the server running? The database file specified was my_launchpad_testing.yaml.

I am able to get FireWorks set up and working on other computers, such as my personal machine, with an identical procedure.

Where can I start to try to fix this?

Thank you!

This seems like it could be a firewall issue. Could anyone advise on what steps I could take to verify that?

···

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 10:32:52 AM UTC-4, Brandon B wrote:

Hi,

I’m trying to get FireWorks installed on a compute cluster and cannot connect to the test database in the installation instructions.

I am creating a virtual environment with no site packages and with Python version 2.7.11. Then I simply pip install FireWorks.

Creating the file with exactly the credentials in the installation instructions results in:

ValueError: FireWorks was not able to connect to MongoDB. Is the server running? The database file specified was my_launchpad_testing.yaml.

I am able to get FireWorks set up and working on other computers, such as my personal machine, with an identical procedure.

Thank you!

Hi Brandon

I just tried the testing database listed here:

https://pythonhosted.org/FireWorks/installation.html

and I can connect without issue. The port on that database should be open to outside connections, which suggests that perhaps the place you are trying to connect from is blocking the connection.

One way to try to confirm that the problem is with your connection as opposed to the FireWorks software is to directly connect via MongoDB. You will need to:

1. Install MongoDB

2. Run the command

mongo ds049170.mongolab.com:49170/fireworks -u “test_user” -p “testing123”

1. If your connection is OK, you’ll see a prompt. At the prompt you can type:

db.fireworks.count()

1. If that returns back the number 2, your connection is definitely fine. If you can’t reproduce these steps, your connection is likely the issue. Perhaps try the same procedure on a computer that is on a different network.

Anubhav

···

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 7:34:32 AM UTC-7, Brandon B wrote:

This seems like it could be a firewall issue. Could anyone advise on what steps I could take to verify that?

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 10:32:52 AM UTC-4, Brandon B wrote:

Hi,

Thank you!