[lammps-users] ERROR: I/O error while writing restart (src/write_restart.cpp:408)

Dear colleagues,

I am using the 29 Oct 2020 version of Lammps.

In some simulations I have generated files to restart these, but I am getting the following kind of error:
ERROR: I/O error while writing restart (src/write_restart.cpp:408)

Searching for references to this error, I just found the link: https://github.com/lammps/lammps/blob/4d84ceb822c61bc534f611e1d0ede8f6ce3c7820/src/write_restart.cpp

I couldn’t understand for sure, but apparently the error is related to MPI, according to line 408.

Could someone with more experience kindly tell me possible causes of this kind of error and how to get around them?

If necessary, let me know if I need to provide any more information or files (ps: my files are exceeding the 999 KB limit, so I haven’t attached).

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Emerson Parazzi Lyra

Ph.D. candidate

School of Chemical Engineering

University of Campinas

No, this has nothing to do with MPI. The MPI call is just to collect from all MPI ranks, if there was an error writing the file.
This means that either your file system is full or you have run out of storage quota or there is a file system error or a disk failure or a combination of that.
You should check our system or if this is on an external cluster contact the system managers.

Thanks for your clarification, Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer.

I will investigate that.

Best regards,

Emerson Parazzi Lyra

Ph.D. candidate

School of Chemical Engineering

University of Campinas