[lammps-users] make problem

I'm not getting far... I enter the src directory and type make, and get a command not found. I've previously installed lammps on some 4 or 5 computers, so it's not like I have no idea what I'm doing, but I've never installed on a mac before. Running OS X version 10.4. Any suggestions?

Erin

I'm not getting far... I enter the src directory and type make, and get
a command not found. I've previously installed lammps on some 4 or 5
computers, so it's not like I have no idea what I'm doing, but I've
never installed on a mac before. Running OS X version 10.4. Any
suggestions?

erin,

try: make mac

and if that does not work, try to find somebody that knows a little
bit about makefiles and is able to poke around in the src/MAKE
directory and make the Makefile.mac (or Makefile.mac_mpi) work for you.

cheers,
   axel.

> I'm not getting far... I enter the src directory and type make, and get
> a command not found. I've previously installed lammps on some 4 or 5
> computers, so it's not like I have no idea what I'm doing, but I've
> never installed on a mac before. Running OS X version 10.4. Any
> suggestions?

erin,

try: make mac

before that... actually make sure you have development tools
(compiler, make, and libraries) installed. i'm so used to install
those, that i keep forgetting, that this is not always the
case these days. :wink:

cheers,
   axel.

Erin, attached is the makefile I use to build a serial version on my powerbook. Note I specify paths on my machine for the FFT, so you should need to change this or turn the FFT option off. In that case the only usrlib you would need is -lmpi, which you make the STUBS directory for a serial build. The mac Makefiles that come with the distribution are configured for Steve’s computer.
Jeremy

Makefile.mac (772 Bytes)

Hi,

The problem may be caused by Xcode. If make command can not be found in /usr/bin/ path, you should install Xcode. The make command is a part of gcc compiler and the utilities like make command are packed in the secondary install disc of Mac OSX Tiger 10.4. In case lack of install discs, one can download Xcode from Apple's developer site. As far as I know, Tiger 10.4 use 2.5 version of Xcode. Hope this would solve the problem.

Berk ONAT

Thanks everyone... I think the problem is with the Xcode tools. make doesn't seem to be anywhere on the computer. I'm trying to get the sys admin to come install them for me, since I have no administrative permissions on this computer. Once that is settled, hopefully I will be able to run the rest of the installation smoothly. I'm sure the alternative Makefile.mac will come in handy.

Erin