[lammps-users] strategies for reducing "other" time

Hi. As I understand it "Other" time is essentially time used by fixes, computes, etc. that does not fall nicely into the pair, bond, neigh, comm, output categories. However, I can not find a description in the manual of what exactly goes into "Other" time. Does anyone have a good sense of (or better yet, a list of) what counts as "other" time? The percentage of total simulation time can be quite high, and (as I understand it) this can reflect poor parallelization of modded code. So, I'd like to try reducing the "other" time in my modded code, but don't have a good sense of where to start.

Thanks,
Rob

It's what you say - anything that isn't tabulated by LAMMPS for
its other timing outputs. If it's high and you added something
like a fix, then that's a good place to look.

Steve

Ah, thanks. But for now my code is not a fix, but something added into one of the bond potential routines (bond_fene.cpp). I have (of necessity) included a fair amount of MPI communication within this routine. Will this be counted as “Comm” time, “Bond” time, or “Other” time? For example, I have some MPI_Barrier() commands within my routine. I understand these give rise to “dead” time which should logically go into the “Other” category, but will it go into “Bond” because the code is in a bond routine?

Thanks,
Rob

If you added code inside a bond routine, then it will get tallied
with Bond Time.

Steve