[lammps-users] Thermal conductivity of silicon

Sreekant,

I do not think you need to rescale temperatures after NVT. Do you reach a stable temperature after all NVT steps? If not, check your drag coefficient or perform longer simulations. I would suggest to test your NVT and NVE simulations without the restart file option and verify around what temperature your system fluctuates during NVE. But, I am sure it is not an issue of the restart option.

A simple way to test that everything is working OK before long simulations, is to perform NVE steps only at a given initial temperature (without any rescaling steps, only initial velocities). Your system (Silicon) should equilibrate around 0.5*Tinit.

Javier Goicochea

Javier,
Yes, after NVT, it does appear that the temperature stabilizes at 300 K (with small oscillations around 300 K).

For NVE steps performed with a given Tinit, why would the system stabilize to 0.5Tinit?

Thanks,
Sreekant

— On Wed, 2/18/09, Javier Goicochea <goicox@…24…> wrote:

> From: Javier Goicochea <goicox@…24…>
> Subject: Re: [lammps-users] Thermal conductivity of silicon
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 1:10 AM
>
> Sreekant,
>
> I do not think you need to rescale temperatures after NVT. Do you reach a stable temperature after all NVT steps? If not, check your drag coefficient or perform longer simulations. I would suggest to test your NVT and NVE simulations without the restart file option and verify around what temperature your system fluctuates during NVE. But, I am sure it is not an issue of the restart option.
>
> A simple way to test that everything is working OK before long simulations, is to perform NVE steps only at a given initial temperature (without any rescaling steps, only initial velocities). Your system (Silicon) should equilibrate around 0.5
Tinit.
>
> Javier Goicochea
>
> <br>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA<br>> -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise<br>> -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation<br>> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD<br>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H<br>>
>
> <br>> _______________________________________________<br>> lammps-users mailing list<br>> [email protected]<br>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lammps-users<br>> <br>>

|

Equipartitioning of energy between kinetic and potential.

Steve