[lammps-users] visualization in Paraview

Hello,

I am trying to visualize my LAMMPS output in Paraview (www.paraview.org) which takes in a number of input file types (vtk, ensight, etc…).

I have been able to convert my LAMMPS dump files to legacy vtk file format (both ascii and binary) which allows me to get the data into Paraview. However the script I’m using (which uses some Pizza functionality) is very slow right now.

Does anyone have experience in getting LAMMPS dumps into a formation useful for Paraview ? I can live with what I have now, but something that is more efficient would be great because I presently have, and will continue to have a lot of data to slowly convert otherwise.

Many thanks,

Dan

Hello,

hello dan,

[...]

Does anyone have experience in getting LAMMPS dumps into a formation useful
for Paraview ? I can live with what I have now, but something that is more
efficient would be great because I presently have, and will continue to have
a lot of data to slowly convert otherwise.

i'd expect your best guess is to teach LAMMPS to write the vtk native
binary format directly. have a look at the xyz, dcd and xtc dump classes
and then use them as a template to write something similar.

we are mostly using xtc and dcd format output for visualization
in VMD these days.

cheers,
   axel.

I vizualize most of my results with paraview. To do so I use the LibMultiScale (http://libmultiscale.gforge.inria.fr/) software which included both a lammps plugin and a paraview plugin. Then the link is made by this way.

But for a convenient fashion, which does not need to use libmultiscale when coupling not needed, you could inspire yourself from various files included in the libmultiscale distribution (see src/dumper/dumper_paraview.h, src/dumper/dumper_atom_paraview.cpp, src/dumper/paraview_helper, src/dumper/lm_file.h)

One other idea for fortran user could be this other project :

http://stefano.zaghi.googlepages.com/lib_vtk_io

Hope it was helpful..

Guillaume

Dan Lussier a �crit :