Makefile for building LAMMPS on Blue Gene/Q

Dear Lammps-users,

I have encountered the same MIN/MAX error when compiling the latest version of LAMMPS on BGQ, and I’m seeking the aid of the local admin with regards to this issue. In the meantime, I would just like to enquire whether this issue had been resolved previously? I am using the makefile from:

https://wiki.alcf.anl.gov/parts/index.php/Mira_LAMMPS_Documentation#Building_on_Blue_Gene.2FQ

The modifications I made were:

vpath .cpp .. vpath .h …

and compiling without FFTW. I’ve also used:

make yes-standard yes-USER-MISC yes-USER-PHONON yes-USER-REAXC no-REAX no-GPU no-POEMS no-MEAM no-KIM no-VORONOI

I have attached the makefile herewith. If anyone has ever resolved this MIN/MAX issue before, kindly advise on how I should proceed with compilation.

The error I obtained was:

1500-036: (I) The NOSTRICT option (default at OPT(3)) has the potential to alter the semantics of a program. Please refer to documentation on the STRICT/NOSTRICT option for more information.
/bgsys/drivers/ppcfloor/comm/xl/bin/mpixlcxx_r -g -O3 -qarch=qp -qtune=qp -qsmp=omp -qsimd=auto -qhot=level=2 -qprefetch -qunroll=yes -DLAMMPS_GZIP -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -c …/dump_xtc.cpp
“/bgsys/drivers/toolchain/V1R2M0-efix23/gnu-linux/lib/gcc/powerpc64-bgq-linux/4.4.6/…/…/…/…/powerpc64-bgq-linux/sys-include/sys/param.h”, line 74.9: 1540-0848 (S) The macro name “MIN” is already defined with a different definition.
“…/pointers.h”, line 34.9: 1540-0425 (I) “MIN” is defined on line 34 of “…/pointers.h”.
“/bgsys/drivers/toolchain/V1R2M0-efix23/gnu-linux/lib/gcc/powerpc64-bgq-linux/4.4.6/…/…/…/…/powerpc64-bgq-linux/sys-include/sys/param.h”, line 75.9: 1540-0848 (S) The macro name “MAX” is already defined with a different definition.
“…/pointers.h”, line 35.9: 1540-0425 (I) “MAX” is defined on line 35 of “…/pointers.h”.
make[1]: *** [dump_xtc.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/scratch/home/ihpc/ihpcjyeo/scratch/lammps-16Aug13/src/Obj_bgq’
make: *** [bgq] Error 2

Best Regards,
Jingjie Yeo
Ph.D. Student
School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

Makefile.bgq (3.56 KB)

It seems there is a clash in the header files between the USER-REAXC package (reaxc_defs.h) and the pointers.h. Try again with the MIN and MAX macros in reaxc_defs.h commented.

Ray

Dear Dr. Shan,

Are you referring to:

// #define MAX(x,y) (((x) > (y)) ? (x) : (y))
// #define MIN(x,y) (((x) < (y)) ? (x) : (y))

I believe it is already commented out by default.

Best Regards,
Jingjie Yeo
Ph.D. Student

Dear Lammps-users,

I have encountered the same MIN/MAX error when compiling the latest version
of LAMMPS on BGQ, and I'm seeking the aid of the local admin with regards to
this issue. In the meantime, I would just like to enquire whether this issue
had been resolved previously? I am using the makefile from:

first off, the LAMMPS code is correct. it is your compiler that is
flagging an error, where there is none. if this was an error, about
50% of all C/C++ code in existence would be at fault.

second, i see that you are compiling in the XTC package, but last time
i checked, on the blue gene you need to use the XDR compatibility
wrapper, which is activated by -DLAMMPS_XDR. i don't see that in your
makefile and it appears that your compilation fails when compiling
dump_xdr.cpp

axel.

Dear Dr. Kohlmeyer,

That particular error seems to have been resolved, but now another error cropped up further along:

/bgsys/drivers/ppcfloor/comm/xl.ndebug/bin/mpixlcxx_r -g -O3 -qarch=qp -qtune=qp -qsmp=omp -qsimd=auto -qhot=level=2 -qprefetch -qunroll=yes -DLAMMPS_GZIP -DLAMMPS_XDR -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -c ../fix_qeq_reax.cpp
"../fix_qeq_reax.cpp", line 44.9: 1540-0848 (S) The macro name "DANGER_ZONE" is already defined with a different definition.
"../reaxc_defs.h", line 100.9: 1540-0425 (I) "DANGER_ZONE" is defined on line 100 of "../reaxc_defs.h".
"../fix_qeq_reax.cpp", line 45.9: 1540-0848 (S) The macro name "LOOSE_ZONE" is already defined with a different definition.
"../reaxc_defs.h", line 101.9: 1540-0425 (I) "LOOSE_ZONE" is defined on line 101 of "../reaxc_defs.h".
make[1]: *** [fix_qeq_reax.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/scratch/home/ihpc/ihpcjyeo/scratch/lammps-16Aug13/src/Obj_bgq'
make: *** [bgq] Error 2

Best Regards,
Jingjie Yeo
Ph.D. Student

Dear Dr. Kohlmeyer,

That particular error seems to have been resolved, but now another error cropped up further along:

i think ray already has some changes for that, they just didn't make
it yet into the distribution. for the time being, i either comment out
the conflicting definition in fix_qeq_reax.cpp or see, if there is a
compiler flag to make it behave more reasonable. every other compiler
that people use simply prints a warning for this (and that is what
should happen).

axel.