Monte Carlo simulations to find the steric clashes and excluded volume of particles at different concentrations in a box

Hi all,
Im new to LAMMPS and want to run monte carlo (MC) simulations to find either there are steric clashes between particles or not. Other thing is how i can find the excluded volume of any given particle at different concentration of other molecules present in the medium.

It would be great help to give some idea how I can do this. Please let me know if you want some more detail on question. Any related material and tutorials will also great help.

thanks in advance
sajid

Hello Sajid,

I can’t tell you how to do it in LAMMPS, as I used my own code, but in one of my papers http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2010.08.054 (and references therein) you can find info on how we calculated steric effects for polymer pairs using lattice based MC and off-lattice DPD simulations. The excluded volume can be calculated e.g. from the area under the curve when you plot the integrand of the radial pair distribution function g® as function of the distance r.

Kind regards,
Markus

Hi all,
Im new to LAMMPS and want to run monte carlo (MC) simulations to find either there are steric clashes

Lammps is a code for MD not MC.

between particles or not. Other thing is how i can find the excluded volume of any given particle at different concentration of other molecules present in the medium.

You can see the compute voronoi/atom command
for a possible way to calculate exculded volume
around an atom.

Steve