Need clarification for fix smd command

I want calculate the potential of mean force (PMF) using fix smd command. I have read the manual, but could someone please clarifying an issue? Is this fix really apply another force in the system (between two groups) together with other fix styles like nvt/npt and … that I use? If yes, so it is better calculate PMF using rerun and post/processing, otherwise the applied extra force may undesirably affecting other results.

I appreciate someone elucidate this.

I want calculate the potential of mean force (PMF) using fix smd command. I have read the manual, but could someone please clarifying an issue? Is this fix really apply another force in the system (between two groups) together with other fix styles like nvt/npt and … that I use? If yes, so it is better calculate PMF using rerun and post/processing, otherwise the applied extra force may undesirably affecting other results.

I appreciate someone elucidate this.

Before using a method, please first read in the suitable literature (text books, papers) how it works and how it computes the property you desire.

It will save you from asking embarrassing questions and making pointless suggestions like in this e-mail.

Axel