openmpi issue

Hi:

I am reinstalling lammps for ubuntu. I chose openmpi package to use with it. I get the following error when I fire up ‘lmp_ubuntu’. Any ideas?
– snip

[calvin:17387] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user in file ess_singleton_module.c at line 231
[calvin:17387] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user in file ess_singleton_module.c at line 140
[calvin:17387] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user in file runtime/orte_init.c at line 128

craig,

the error messages you report all originate from the MPI library and not LAMMPS.
most likely, your OpenMPI installation is broken somehow.

you should check if you can compile and run other MPI programs (i am attaching a trivial “hello world” style MPI program).
i
axel.

hello.c (801 Bytes)

Sounds like an issue with MPI, your system administrator may be more help.
Can you run other stuff in MPI?

Respectfully,
Mohammad Athar
email: [email protected]...

Thanks! It is openmpi. Axel’s small program failed in the same way. Looks like I am researching open-mpi.

Are there other mpi packages out there that might be recommended over open mpi?

Thanks! It is openmpi. Axel’s small program failed in the same way. Looks like I am researching open-mpi.

Are there other mpi packages out there that might be recommended over open mpi?

OpenMPI works just fine. I use it all the time and provide pre-compiled binaries with it. Any correctly installed and functioning mpi library that is MPI-2 compliant will work.

You have to fix your installation.

Axel

Thanks to you all. I have installed open mpi correctly and it is working great now.