Problems creating a new sign-in

I’ve been a long-time MP user with my personal google sign-in, however our company now requires that only company emails/accounts be accessed from company computers. I tried to create a new account using my company email, however when I follow the link sent by MP I get the following message:

Please enter the login code that was sent to you.

Login code:
Login code is invalid. It might have expired.
dca03581f01b3bd2a0cf
Login

Tried a few times and it’s always the same.
What should I do? Prior suggestions in this forum are to use a different email provider, but that’s exactly what I am trying to avoid in the first place!

Thanks!

Hi @sb_emd,

Thanks for this post. This kind of feedback is very useful to us – we often assume that most people can use one of the established login providers, but if it’s a problem and you cannot, it’s really good that we hear about it.

Are you able to sign in at next-gen.materialsproject.org with any account with your company email? This is our new login system. If not, I will escalate and see if we can address it (we have already had discussions on this issue internally). It’s really important to us that everyone can log in, including from industry.

Finally, as a technical note, the reason we use these third-party login providers is simply because we’re a small team and it’s really difficult/expensive to get login working correctly (which is why you might be seeing this error message now). We know it’s important, but we also have to figure out how to prioritize development given our team size, which is why feedback like this is so useful.

Best,

Matt

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Matt. The next-gen version did require an authorization on our local admin’s side, which took a while to obtain - but I can log in now. However, looks like this only gives me access to a completely redesigned version of the site? It has many nice features, but, on the other hand, some old functionalities are missing (or non-working? e.g. can’t get even something so simple as a phase diagram figure for a ternary system… it looks like there is a place for it but it never loads…). Is there a way to cross-validate the logins, so that I could still have access to your old website version once logged in on next-gen? Right now if I log into next-gen and then go to the old version it still prompts to log in.

A related question: is there any difference in what the API keys generated for my old and new account can access (e.g. any specific version of pymatgen is required to use next-gen API key?)

Thanks!

Hi @sb_emd,

The two websites and login systems are independent, as are the API keys. The current (legacy) website will be retired in due course but will remain available for a good time (likely a year after we switch to the new website by default, at the address legacy.materialsproject.org).

Some features of the current website will be retired, but important features should all remain, including ternary phase diagrams. Rest assured, by the time we’re sending visitors to the new website by default, hopefully that should all be resolved (though I would hesitate to call anything simple, even phase diagrams!)

Best,

Matt

Thanks Matt, but please realize that you ARE effectively sending me to the new website by default - since my email does not work on your “regular” website (please refer to the original post in this thread, using the new site was the only suggestion that I got). If the two systems are independent and cannot honor each other’s logins, could you please look into making the old website work with my company’s email?

Because the API keys are independent, this is even more pressing: I had been using quite a number of scripts developed over the years. I am a physicist/materials scientist, not a programmer, so porting tens of thousands of lines of code to a new API would be quite a challenge It would be really helpful if we could be using those scripts now, but I cannot get my API key because the website does not allow me to log in!..

BTW I didn’t mean to call the phase diagrams simple - what I meant to say was that this functionality was a well-established one (and I believe one of the first to appear at MP), so I was surprised to see it did not work on the new site…

Thanks again for looking into this!
–sb

BTW I didn’t mean to call the phase diagrams simple - what I meant to say was that this functionality was a well-established one (and I believe one of the first to appear at MP), so I was surprised to see it did not work on the new site…

No worries, I was just clarifying myself that these things do require planning time investment on our side–our existing apps do also have bugs and have been difficult to improve. Since we last commented, the new Phase Diagram app has been updated. Improvements for the new app include now being able to interact with and rotate quaternary phase diagrams (vs the static image previously), apply a machine learning model to estimate phase diagrams at finite temperature, view chemical potential diagrams, and switch between different functionals (for advanced users; this is also required for MP’s purposes). There is still functionality left to implement however.

Regarding your pressing concern, if you email me directly at [email protected], I can supply your API key to help you get running again asap – I certainly understand the inconvenience.

For the underlying issue and your company’s email requirement, ultimately we are a free service, and trying to support as many people as possible. As you may be able to tell, given the issues you’re having with login on the current/legacy website, maintaining our own login systems are difficult given the size of the team we have, and using third-party login providers (such as Google) greatly reduces the burden on the MP staff. With that said, passwordless email login is high on our list of features we want, I just can’t give a timeline yet.

Best,

Matt

Hi @sb_emd, logins via email have now been added to the new website too, courtesy of @tschaume. Hope this helps!