Proper use of BNCH.ILP potential?

Hi Nicolas,
It seems you didn’t assign a unique molecule id for each layer of graphene, as a result, the interlayer interaction is not calculated.

In the document (https://lammps.sandia.gov/doc/pair_ilp_graphene_hbn.html), there is Note:

Note

This potential is intended for interactions between two different layers of graphene or hexagonal boron nitride. Therefore, to avoid interaction within the same layers, each layer should have a separate molecule id and is recommended to use “full” atom style in the data file.

You can find examples from the directory ${LAMMPS_package}/examples/USER/misc/ilp_graphene_hbn.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best,
Wengen

Dear Wengen,

Thank you for your answer.

I managed to set up the system now, defining the molecule ID. I ended up using the read_data command rather than the create_atoms with the basis flag as I did before.

It runs properly now, however I’ve just noticed that the minimization hangs when I don’t fix one of the layers using

fix subf adsorbate setforce 0.0 0.0 0.0

It simply gets stuck after a fixed number of timesteps (this value is different depending on the minimization scheme I use, but all that I tried ended up hanging).
There is no error message popping up, even when running it interactively.

But if I use this fix setforce command (as in the example file), it relaxes properly.

I’ll try few more things so that I can also simulate a free-standing system rather than only this one here with fixed substrate, but feel free to comment if you know what is going on.

Regards,
Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,
For the stuck problem, I received several similar reports from different researchers, actually I’m working on it recently.
I think I already find the reason, but just to be sure, can you send your input file (including log file) for me so I can do a test?
After I confirm this issue, I will update the modified codes to LAMMPS soon.
Thanks!

Best,
Wengen