Question about fix gcmc for hybrid algorithm

Dear Steve, Paul and developers,

It’s so great to have the MC package. I have some questions about the fix gcmc command (lammps-29Aug2014).

I want to use this command to perform Dual-control volume hybrid gcmc+MD (DCV-GCMD) method, but failed (I’ve searched the mail list, you said it can’t perform it yet). However, I found some problems.

The following are the cases (pls see attachment).

I set two parallel walls with LJ potential in z-direction, periodic boundary in y-direction and fix boundary of wall/reflect in x-direction. Then we have a slit-like flow channel in x-direction. I divided the channel to three parts: left, middle and right , and set the left and right volume as the gcmc reservoirs with buffer, high pressure on the left and low pressure on the right (see the input script in.test1). So, the atoms should flow from left to right through the middle part.

I used the fix gcmc command with region keyword to control pressure. However, the atoms cannot flow out the gcmc reservoirs. Just like there is a virtual wall on the boundary of the gcmc region.

Because the gcmc command is performed every N steps as the manual said, I tried to run the simulation for N-steps and using loop (see in.test2), then the atoms can flow out.

However, I found the atoms in the middle region cannot flow into the gcmc reservoirs, when I test a larger model. It seems that I can perform DCV-GCMD by using very small timesteps and fix/unfix gcmc every loop (e.g. fix gcmc for 1000 steps and then unfix gcmc running 1000 steps, very inefficient). I haven’t finished the test yet.

So, is it possible to make the gcmc command to allow the atoms flow in and out the region? If Lammps can do it, it certainly can perform DCV-GCMD then.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Tianhao

College of Engineering, Peking University.