Rotate atoms about their

Dear all,
I would like to rotate a group of atoms, each about their current positions and axis orientations…on every time step. May I know how to do that?

I tried ‘fix move rotate’ and tried to feed in atom style variables in positions and axes, but it doesn’t take them.
Same happens with ‘displace_atoms’ command as well.

I want a per-timestep, per-atom control over the atoms. Any help would be great!! For now, since I am limited to 2D, rotating them about the z-axis would be good for starters, with the hope that an extension to 3D should be easy.

Thanks in advance.

Rituparn Singh

​please note when asking questions about how to use specific commands in LAMMPS, you should always report the LAMMPS version you are using.

Dear all,
I would like to rotate a group of atoms, each about their current positions and axis orientations…on every time step. May I know how to do that?

I tried ‘fix move rotate’ and tried to feed in atom style variables in positions and axes, but it doesn’t take them.

​what do you mean by “it doesn’t take them”?​

​please look at the syntax explanation in the manual very carefully. you cannot use the variable and rotate options a the same time.​

​you can define rather complex changes using atom​ style variables
you can define even more complex changes using python scripting and fix python/move

​axel.​