set different colour for the atoms in the simulation box

Dear all,

I want to set the left part and the right part of my simulation box into two different colour, but my system is pure system and it only contains one element. How can I do this in lammps.
I used the command “set”
“set group left type 1;set group right type 2”, in this case, I have to set 2 type of atoms in my simulation “create_box 2 box”, if I set “create_box 1 box” and it did not work. But if I set two type of atoms in the input file, I have to provide 2 type of potentials but my system is pure system and there is only one element in my simulation. I also have tried to set two types atoms in the potential, they both have the same potential parameters regardless that they are different in terms of the name, but this did not work in the MEAM potential as well. Is there any command can do this ?

Regards,

WZCHEN

First, why you want to set different colors in LAMMPS?Why not leave it to visualization software that may provide plenty of selection and coloring methods.
Second, it does not make sense that two atom types cannot be assigned the same parameters. Examples in pair style MEAM documentation exactly do so.

Francis

Dear Francis,
Thank you for your quick response.
I am now trying to simulate the melting temperature of pure system by the two phase method and it would be easier to visual the solid-liquid interface if the solid part and liquid part are set into different colour. I am using the Ovito visualization software, and if the atoms in the solid and liquid groups are set into two types. It is easy to set different colour for these atoms in the Ovito. But I can not set the colour for them by just select the atoms, for the solid atoms go into the liquid part during the simulation and it is difficult to find them in the Ovito software.

Regards,
wzchen

在 2014-01-23 20:18:39,“Francis Jing” <francijing@…24…> 写道:

Do you mean set colors once and for all, i.e. if a particle initially in the solid phase goes into the liquid, it still has the solid color? If so, wouldn’t it work to use one element name for two atom types?

Francis

Yes, that is what I mean.

wzchen