Simulation of water in CNT using Moltemplate and LAMMPS softwares

Hello All,

I am working on simulation of water in CNT using LAMMPS. I have used very large number for number of run (20000000) and dt=1 femtosecond in my input file.

After visualization, I can see the water fills entire the CNT; however, the water doesn’t exit the tube even after passing long time. I have a couple of questions about my results:

1- I plotted the velocity and density/number along radial in z direction. For this purpose, the ave/spatial command was used as following:

fix 1 all ave/spatial 2 5000 10000 x center 2.0 vx vy vz density/number bound z 32.0 58.26 units box file vel1.profile

fix 11 all ave/spatial 2 5000 10000 x center 2.0 vx vy vz density/number bound z 0.0 80.0 units box file vel11.profile
fix 22 all ave/spatial 2 5000 10000 x center 2.0 vx vy vz density/number bound z 0.0 11.47 units box file vel22.profile
fix 3 all ave/spatial 2 5000 10000 x center 2.0 vx vy vz density/number bound z 11.47 32.0 units box filevel3. profile
fix 44 all ave/spatial 2 5000 10000 x center 2.0 vx vy vz density/number bound z 58.26 80.0 units box file vel4.profile

fix 2 all ave/spatial 2 5000 10000 x center 2.0 vx vy vz density/number units box file vel2.profile

I used bounds z in this command to calculate the velocity in different sections of CNT. However, the velocity profiles are the same for all of profiles and I think my obtained results are based on the whole computational domain (bounds z command doesn’t work?). How can I get accurate velocity distribution in different sections of CNT in radial direction?

2- I am thinking that velocity profile after long time should get positive steady state values in CNT as I have read in the literature. However, the velocity is always changing each Nfreq (The time step which is used to calculate velocity). How can I approach this problem?

I attached the velocity and Density/number for different number of water molecules, lengths and radii of CNT after passing long time.

I really appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Hamed.

Results.pdf (399 KB)

If nothing is exiting your CNT, then the velocities inside

it have to asymptote to 0.0. I’m guessing you are either

not visualizing the output correctly or are mis-interpreting

the velocity profiles. What LAMMPS does with fix ave/spatial

is pretty straightforward.

Steve

I sent a more detailed reply to Hamed early today. Here's the short version

I am working on simulation of water in CNT using LAMMPS. I have used very large number for number of run (20000000) and dt=1 femtosecond in my input file.

After visualization, I can see the water fills entire the CNT; however, the water doesn't exit the tube even after passing long time.

This is a consequence of the surface tension of water, and the fact
that you have a vacuum region. The system will try to minimize the
area of the air-water boundary. If water exits the other side of the
tube, this would create another air-water boundary, which would be
unfavorable.

I am assuming that you are running a simulation at constant volume
which is considerably larger than the volume of water in your
simulation, (as shown in your picture). This creates a vacuum
("bubble"). If you reduce the volume of the simulation, or run a
simulation at constant positive pressure, or fill the empty space with
more water molecules, then water should be able to freely move through
the tube.

I do not have enough experience using fix ave/chunk (or fix
ave/spatial) to comment on this. I suggest you update to the latest
version of LAMMPS, use fix ave/chunk instead of fix ave/spatial, and
also take another look at the documentation for fix ave/chunk. If it
helps, I will also send you instructions how to compile the code
yourself, and step through it with a debugger, if you think it would
help you understand what the code is doing.

Cheers
Andrew