Suppress Si-Si interactions.

Hi Lammps Users,

I want to implement Tersoff 1994 potential available in the Lammps package but i want to Supress ALL Si-Si interactions. Can anyone confirm if it is sufficient to change the cut-off value R in the 2nd and 8th line of the interatomic potential file?
I read about Si-Si interaction suppression in the article Journal of Nuclear Materials 246 (1997) 53-59. Please refer page 55 last paragraph in the left hand side column.

Thanks,
Nipun

Aidan might be able to answer this Q
about the Tersoff potential file. Which
Tersoff potential fie are you referring to?
Presumably some alloy file?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I’m referring to Tersoff 1994 file for SiC. The file name as downloaded with lammps package is SiC_1994.tersoff

Two ways to do that: either change the cutoffs or make A and B zero.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply. It didn’t occur to me that i could also reduce the A and B values to zero for the same impact. But my question still stands. would it be sufficient to change the cut-off value R or the A and B values as you suggested in the 2nd and 8th line of the interatomic potential file?

Why don’t you verify that yourself by carefully conducting some test runs? Even if I tell you this and that, you have to be able to convince yourself, your colleagues, and your advisor that the changes you made makes sense and are correct.

Ray

Thanks Ray,

I’ll work on it.