switch-on cutoff for LJ potential

Hi,

I want to use LJ potential in conjunction with REBO potential, in a way that LJ starts functioning when REBO stops functioning (at r=2 A). Is there any specific pair_style other than “pair_style table” or any specific command to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I want to use LJ potential in conjunction with REBO potential, in a way
that LJ starts functioning when REBO stops functioning (at r=2 A). Is there
any specific pair_style other than "pair_style table" or any specific
command to do this?

​pair_style airebo 3.0 1 0

please see: ​http://lammps.sandia.gov/doc/pair_airebo.html

Thanks Axel,

As far as I know AIREBO and REBO are slightly different. I think turning off the torsion term makes the potential, “AIREBO without torsion” not “REBO+LJ”. As you remember, there was a bug fix regarding REBO potential few months ago, and the paper by Favata et al (An analytical benchmark and a Mathematica program for MD codes Testing LAMMPS on the 2nd generation Brenner potential) addresses this. I have already used AIREBO potential for simulating CNTs, but, the geometries result from this potential have some discrepancies. This is one of the reasons that I want to use REBO+LJ instead of AIREBO. Surprisingly, most of the reported works for CNTs in the literature have gone this way, maybe coincidentally.

The other reason is that I want to define LJ interactions only between different layers of a multi-layer CNTs.

Obviously, these issues are not related to the LAMMPS. I just want to know how to define REBO+LJ in LAMMPS in a way that these two potentials don’t interfere at distances less than 2A, by a command other than pair_style table.

Now, I see a new fixed bug dated as “7 March 2017” regarding AIREBO potential which might be related to the above-mentioned issue. Unfortunately, I am using windows executable version of LAMMPS that dose not have this bug fix.

Hi,

I want to use LJ potential in conjunction with REBO potential, in a way that LJ starts functioning when REBO stops functioning (at r=2 A). Is there any specific pair_style other than “pair_style table” or any specific command to do this?

​pair_style airebo 3.0 1 0

please see: ​http://lammps.sandia.gov/doc/pair_airebo.html

Thanks Axel,

As far as I know AIREBO and REBO are slightly different. I think turning
off the torsion term makes the potential, "AIREBO without torsion" not
"REBO+LJ". As you remember, there was a bug fix regarding REBO potential
few months ago, and the paper by Favata et al (An analytical benchmark and
a Mathematica program for MD codes Testing LAMMPS on the 2nd generation
Brenner potential) addresses this. I have already used AIREBO potential for
simulating CNTs, but, the geometries result from this potential have some
discrepancies. This is one of the reasons that I want to use REBO+LJ
instead of AIREBO. Surprisingly, most of the reported works for CNTs in the
literature have gone this way, maybe coincidentally.

The other reason is that I want to define LJ interactions only between
different layers of a multi-layer CNTs.

Obviously, these issues are not related to the LAMMPS. I just want to know
how to define REBO+LJ in LAMMPS in a way that these two potentials don't
interfere at distances less than 2A, by a command other than pair_style
table.

​there is no such command.

Now, I see a new fixed bug dated as "7 March 2017" regarding AIREBO
potential which might be related to the above-mentioned issue.
Unfortunately, I am using windows executable version of LAMMPS that dose
not have this bug fix.

​if you want the latest bugfixes (or pair styles that don't yet exist), you
will have to teach yourself to compile ​LAMMPS from source. that is
typically easier to do with Linux than windows, so the recommended approach
would be to install a linux virtual machine.

pre-compiled windows executables for newer releases will eventually happen,
but a) this is not a high-priority item, and b) this requires porting the
build infrastructure from the now obsolete LAMMPS-ICMS branch to upstream.

axel.

Thanks. So, I will try pair_style table, also, I have to work on compiling LAMMPS from the source.

Thanks Axel,

As far as I know AIREBO and REBO are slightly different. I think turning off the torsion term makes the potential, “AIREBO without torsion” not “REBO+LJ”. As you remember, there was a bug fix regarding REBO potential few months ago, and the paper by Favata et al (An analytical benchmark and a Mathematica program for MD codes Testing LAMMPS on the 2nd generation Brenner potential) addresses this. I have already used AIREBO potential for simulating CNTs, but, the geometries result from this potential have some discrepancies. This is one of the reasons that I want to use REBO+LJ instead of AIREBO. Surprisingly, most of the reported works for CNTs in the literature have gone this way, maybe coincidentally.

The other reason is that I want to define LJ interactions only between different layers of a multi-layer CNTs.

Obviously, these issues are not related to the LAMMPS. I just want to know how to define REBO+LJ in LAMMPS in a way that these two potentials don’t interfere at distances less than 2A, by a command other than pair_style table.

​there is no such command.

Now, I see a new fixed bug dated as “7 March 2017” regarding AIREBO potential which might be related to the above-mentioned issue. Unfortunately, I am using windows executable version of LAMMPS that dose not have this bug fix.

​if you want the latest bugfixes (or pair styles that don’t yet exist), you will have to teach yourself to compile ​LAMMPS from source. that is typically easier to do with Linux than windows, so the recommended approach would be to install a linux virtual machine.

pre-compiled windows executables for newer releases will eventually happen, but a) this is not a high-priority item, and b) this requires porting the build infrastructure from the now obsolete LAMMPS-ICMS branch to upstream.

axel.

The in-house REBO code that the Brenner, Harrison, Stuart, and Sinnott research groups use to publish papers using the REBO potentials include the short-range REBO term and longer-ranged LJ. The two interactions are combined via a spline, which you cannot realize with the LAMMPS implementation of pair_style rebo, even if you hybrid it together with LJ.

So the answer for REBO+LJ is: you can use “pair_style hybrid/overlay rebo lj/cut {cutoff}”or use pair_style airebo with no torsion – the two are going to give you different results but neither will be the same as the in-house REBO code.

The good news is: for carbon nanotubes the LJ interactions are zero so you can safely use “pair_style rebo” for CNTs. If you want to include hydrocarbons with CNTs that is another story.

Ray