vmd_MACOSXX86: Bad CPU type in executable

Dear LAMMPS Users,

My question is probably unrelated to lammps but believing many of you are using VMD I am posting here for some help.

I recently upgraded to 10.15 Catalina on MacOS and when I tried to open VMD, I get the following error: “vmd_MACOSXX86: Bad CPU type in executable”. I tried installing again but still the same error message. VMD used to work fine with previous versions.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Santosh.

this is not probably, but definitely unrelated to LAMMPS and thus off-topic for this mailing list.
try using google (bing or some other web search engine) or the VMD mailing list and you are infinitely more likely to come across a useful answer.

axel.

p.s.: since you know me well enough, you should have expected such a response.

Hi
Upgrading to Catalina is known to cause problems with many software.
Probably it is the case here. Yiu can googlise on Catalina too
Cheers
Pascal

this is not probably, but definitely unrelated to LAMMPS and thus off-topic for this mailing list.
try using google (bing or some other web search engine) or the VMD mailing list and you are infinitely more likely to come across a useful answer.

axel.

p.s.: since you know me well enough, you should have expected such a response.

Not to mention that Apple is fixing to kill OpenCL and OpenGL and already deprecated those. Pretty soon macs will be useless for a lot of (open source) applications.
Axel

Thanks, Pascal and Axel.

Yes, apparently you can’t use 32-bit applications anymore with the latest macOS 10.15 and need to downgrade or live without VMD.

Best regards,
Santosh.