Cant import LinesVis

Hello,

I am trying to reproduce the example here GenerateTrajectoryLinesModifier but I am not able to import LinesVis.

I tried to import LineVis and it gives this error

ImportError: cannot import name 'LinesVis' from 'ovito.vis' (/Users/othman/miniconda3/envs/jupyter/lib/python3.11/site-packages/ovito/vis/__init__.py)

I am using ovito==3.9.1 MacOS where I installed ovito using conda

conda create -n jupyter --strict-channel-priority -c https://conda.ovito.org -c conda-forge ovito==3.9.1 ipywidgets

I tried ovito==3.10.0 but its not there, but on Ovito website (conda package) is 3.10.0 - 23 Dec, 2023

Thank you

Hi,
you might need to run conda clean --index-cache before attempting to install (see download page).
Afterwards OVITO 3.10 installs fine on my m1 mac book.

I tried that, but it didnt work.

It seems ovito 3.10 is missing from data/osx-64 but its there for osx-arm64

Are you able to import LinesVis

from ovito.vis import LinesVis 

Works on Apple M1 Pro with Sonoma 14.1.2:

(default) ➜  python                                                                              
Python 3.11.6 | packaged by conda-forge | (main, Oct  3 2023, 10:37:07) [Clang 15.0.7 ] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import ovito
>>> ovito.version
(3, 10, 0)
>>> from ovito.vis import LinesVis 
>>>

The intel mac conda package is currently missing. We’ll update you here once it becomes available.

Until then you can either use the pip package or OVITO Pro for intel mac. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The mac-intel conda package should now be available using the instructions on the download page.

I tried on a fresh conda environment, but I got this error. Do you know how to fix it?
I have MacOs 13, but i guess the 11.0 is something else, right?

(ovito-conda)  ~ % conda clean --index-cache
There are no index cache(s) to remove.
(ovito-conda)  ~ % conda install --strict-channel-priority -c https://conda.ovito.org -c conda-forge ovito==3.10.0
Channels:
 - https://conda.ovito.org
 - conda-forge
 - defaults
Platform: osx-64
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed

LibMambaUnsatisfiableError: Encountered problems while solving:
  - package ovito-3.10.0-py310h2c949bd_1 requires qt6-main >=6.6.1,<6.7.0a0, but none of the providers can be installed

Could not solve for environment specs
The following packages are incompatible
├─ __osx is requested and can be installed;
└─ ovito 3.10.0  is not installable because it requires
   └─ qt6-main >=6.6.1,<6.7.0a0 , which requires
      └─ __osx >=11.0 , which conflicts with any installable versions previously reported.

I am not sure why this happens. First, to check whether this conflict is related to the ovito package or not, could you please try installing just the qt6-main package in a fresh environment? Thanks.

conda create -n qt-test -c conda-forge qt6-main==6.6.1

This is what I get

~ % conda create -n qt-test -c conda-forge qt6-main==6.6.1
Retrieving notices: ...working... done
Channels:
 - conda-forge
 - defaults
Platform: osx-64
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed

LibMambaUnsatisfiableError: Encountered problems while solving:
  - package qt6-main-6.6.1-h729e66d_0 has constraint __osx >=11.0 conflicting with __osx-10.16-0

Could not solve for environment specs
The following packages are incompatible
├─ __osx is requested and can be installed;
└─ qt6-main 6.6.1  is not installable because it requires
   └─ __osx >=11.0 , which conflicts with any installable versions previously reported.

Ok, I think this shows that installation of the qt6-main package is broken on macOS/Intel. We may have to report this to the maintainers of the qt6-main package in conda-forge, because it’s not something we can fix on OVITO’s end. Maybe one more thing you could try is to install an older version of the qt6-main package, e.g. version 6.5. Then we would at least know that this is a regression.

Thank you.

Installing version qt-main 6.5 is ok.

It may be possible to work around this problem by setting the environment variable CONDA_OVERRIDE_OSX=13.0, see Managing virtual packages — conda 23.11.1.dev38 documentation.