Cluster analysis sorting

Hello,

If i dont use ‘Sort clusters by size’, will that mean the cluster will keep its own ID over time?

My goal: track the same cluster com and other properties and movement over time.

Thanks

We had a previous question (asked by Coldz .) in the past:

Hello,
I am using Python to use Ovito library to do some cluster analysis. Is there a way to fix the cluster id for the detected clusters?
I want the cluster that get the ID=4 to stay 4 for different frames. I want to track the cluster properties over time, but if the cluster ID change then I cant. Do you have an idea how to do that?
Thank you

The following answer given by @kalcher is unfortunately still true:

Hi,
This is not a trivial question and depends on the complexity of your system. As mentioned in our manual the ordering of clusters is arbitrary by default and will generally depend on the storage order of the input particles.
If you were to develop a custom solution, you need to find a method of identifying clusters across multiple frames. Here you could use parameters like the particle identifiers of particles belonging to a cluster or the trajectories of the centers of mass of each cluster. Things you’d also need to consider are what to do when clusters grow, appear, or disappear.
Hope that helps.

I hope this answers your question, otherwise please elaborate what you’re looking for.