Different between final atoms coordinate written by dump, write_data, and write_restart commands

I am using lammps-16March2018, I built a simulation box including Pt atoms which are packed with FCC structure. As you can see in my input file, initially to equilibrate my system I am using Berendsen thermostat. To monitor my system evaluation, I write atoms coordinates in a dump file, besides, at the end of the simulation, I write the final coordinates of atoms in a data file. The problem is when I compare the last frame of dump file with the written data file (as you can see in the attached PNG files), in the case of data file some atoms crossed the simulation box, but in the case of the dump file, all the atoms remain inside the box. I also converted the written restart file to data file and it is similar to the data file written by write_data command.

I would be very thankful if someone could tell me why using dump command the final topology of the system looks different in comparison with write_data and restart commands!!
The thing is I want to start a new simulation using the previous equilibrated system and for me, it is important to know the exact atoms coordinate from the previous simulation.

####-------------------------------input file-----------------------------# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- INITIALIZATION ----------------------
units real
dimension 3
boundary p p p
atom_style atomic
lattice fcc 3.91
#--------------------------------------------------ATOM DEFINITION-------------------------------------------------
processors 1 4 4

region PLt_left block 0 7.82 0 100 0 100 units box

region PLt_right block 490.7 500 0 100 0 100 units box

region PLt_middle block 240.18 259.82 0 100 0 100 units box

region whole block -15.0 515.0 0 100 0 100 units box

create_box 2 whole
mass 1 195.1
mass 2 39.95

create_atoms 1 region PLt_left
create_atoms 1 region PLt_right
create_atoms 1 region PLt_middle

group whole region whole

group PLt_left region PLt_left

group PLt_right region PLt_right

group PLt_middle region PLt_middle

timestep 1
#----------------------------------------------FORCE FIELD-----------------------------------------------------------
pair_style lj/cut 12
pair_coeff 1 1 7.49504 2.47
pair_coeff 1 2 0.157262 2.94
pair_coeff 2 2 0.238044 3.4

neighbor 2 bin

neigh_modify delay 0 every 1 check no

thermo 1000
thermo_style custom time temp ke pe lx ly lz press
thermo_modify lost warn
#####-----------------------------------------------------------Energy minimization
min_style cg
minimize 1e-16 1e-16 100000 100000
fix 1111 all box/relax iso 0.0 vmax 0.01
reset_timestep 0
timestep 1

restart 10000 restart.*.EQ

dump 1 all custom 1000 dumpsystem.lammpstrj id type x y z

velocity all create 300.0 4928459 rot yes dist gaussian

fix 2 PLt_left nve
fix 3 PLt_left temp/berendsen 300.0 300.0 100.0

fix 4 PLt_middle nve
fix 5 PLt_middle temp/berendsen 300.0 300.0 100.0

fix 6 PLt_right nve
fix 7 PLt_right temp/berendsen 300.0 300.0 100.0

run 500000

write_data data.Pt_Eq

Kind regards,

Shahin Mohammad Nejad

dump.png

write_data.png

I am using lammps-16March2018, I built a simulation box including Pt atoms which are packed with FCC structure. As you can see in my input file, initially to equilibrate my system I am using Berendsen thermostat. To monitor my system evaluation, I write atoms coordinates in a dump file, besides, at the end of the simulation, I write the final coordinates of atoms in a data file. The problem is when I compare the last frame of dump file with the written data file (as you can see in the attached PNG files), in the case of data file some atoms crossed the simulation box, but in the case of the dump file, all the atoms remain inside the box. I also converted the written restart file to data file and it is similar to the data file written by write_data command.

I would be very thankful if someone could tell me why using dump command the final topology of the system looks different in comparison with write_data and restart commands!!

they are different, ​because y​ou asked for it. in your custom dump you asked to output “x y z”, which are the current coordinates without image flags applied.
if you would ask to also output the image flags “x y z ix iy iz” or output ‘unwrapped’ coordinates “xu yu zu”, you would get the same visualization as with the data file, as the data file does contain the image flag information.

The thing is I want to start a new simulation using the previous equilibrated system and for me, it is important to know the exact atoms coordinate from the previous simulation.

​both are suitable in this case. since you have periodic boundaries and no bonds.

axel.​

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lammps-users

​[…]