Dipole moment calculation problems

Dear users,

I am calculating the dipole moment M and M^2 values for MOFs (please find the data file below).

For M, there are two ways to calculate (p.s. here I only calculate the values along x direction):

1. using the “compute dipole” command (see attached file “in.computedipole”, the result is 0);

2. using the equation of M = Sum_n q_i* r_i - Sum_n q_i * (Sum_n m_i*r_i)/Sum_n m_i based on the center of mass (see attached file “in.equation”, the result is around -108) according to the previous discussion:

(https://matsci.org/t/lammps-users-problem-with-compute-dipole-chunk/34733)

does anyone know why these two results are different, and the obtained negative values (-108) from the second way confused me, what does it mean?

For M^2 (which I will use to further calculate <M^2>), I am confused about whether the equation I used is correct or not, the one I used is: M^2= sum_n (q_ir_i)^2-[Sum_n q_i * (Sum_n m_ir_i)/Sum_n m_i]^2
(see commands used in the attached file “in.equation”)

please correct me if I made any mistake, thank you.
data.HKUST-1 (331.8 KB)
in.computedipole (3.3 KB)
in.equation (3.8 KB)

wang

This may be a bug, because the whole issue comes from the fact that your molecule ID is equal to 444, instead of 1. If you change variable Mx equal c_M[1][1] to variable Mx equal c_M[444][1], you will get the same output for both cases.

According to the manual for compute dipole/chunk:

These computes calculate a global array where the number of rows = the number of chunks

so, in theory, you should have only a single row, because you have one molecule, but because its ID is 444, the actual values are at this index instead of 1.

Please note that under periodic boundary conditions the dipole moment of a simulation box is not quite well-defined: Polarization density - Wikipedia (see the “Polarisation ambiguity” section). Furthermore, while polarisation changes are well-defined, only the “itinerant polarisation” is meaningful (that is, using unwrapped instead of wrapped coordinates).