Error adding YSZ model

Hello everyone,
I am new to using LAMMPS and OpenKIM. I am trying to use “Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001”. I followed all the steps mentioned in the installation guide and I am able to run other models except the one mentioned above. I am currently working with “lammps-23-June-2022” and “kim_api 2.2.1”. When trying to add this model, I get an error message:

(base) tejesh@tejesh-VirtualBox:~/Documents/lammps-23Jun2022/lib/kim/installed-2.2.1/bin$ kim-api-collections-management install system Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001
*** ERROR *** Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001 found at openkim.org is not compatible with this version of the KIM API.

So, I tried working with an older version of lammps and OpenKIM. I tried using “lammps-22Aug-2018” and “kim_api 1.9.5” and got the following error message:

(base) tejesh@tejesh-VirtualBox:~/Documents/lammps-22Aug18/lib/kim/installed-kim-api-v1.9.5/bin$ kim-api-collections-management install system Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001
*** ERROR *** Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001 found at openkim.org requires version 1.6 of the KIM API which is not compatible with the installed version 2 of the KIM API.

So I am now trying to use “kim_api 1.6.0” with “lammps-22Aug-2018” and got the following error:

(base) tejesh@tejesh-VirtualBox:~/Downloads/lammps-22Aug18/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0$ make add-Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001

• adding… Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001 … to /home/tejesh/Downloads/lammps-22Aug18/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0/src/models
    Unable to download Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001 from https://openkim.org. Check the KIM Item ID for errors.
    Makefile:185: recipe for target ‘add-Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001’ failed
    make: *** [add-Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001] Error 1

I would really appreciate if someone could help me this.
Thank you for your time!

Hello,

Thanks for your message. It looks like openkim.org used to have tgz files in addition to txz files, but now there are only txz files. The kim-api-v1.6.0 is looking for the tgz file and can’t find it.

We’re working on a 2.0 version of the Umeno model, but it may take some time for us to finalize it. So, in the meantime the best I can suggest is for you to use a more “manual” process to get this model.

To do this you’ll want to download the Umeno *.tgz file and unpack it into the kim-api-v1.6.0/src/models/ subdirectory. I believe that once you do this, and then build and install the kim-api the model will also be built and installed. Hope that works for you. Let us know if you run into further problems.

Best,

Ryan

1 Like

Thank you for your response, Ryan. I was able to add the Umeno model successfully and build kim-api. However, when I tried building lammps, I got the following error:

make[1]: kim-api-build-config: Command not found
mpicxx -g -O3 -DLAMMPS_GZIP -I…/…/lib/meam -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX=1 -c …/compute_temp_deform.cpp
mpicxx -g -O3 -DLAMMPS_GZIP -I…/…/lib/meam -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX=1 -c …/respa.cpp
mpicxx -g -O3 -DLAMMPS_GZIP -I…/…/lib/meam -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX=1 -c …/dump_custom.cpp
mpicxx -g -O3 -DLAMMPS_GZIP -I…/…/lib/meam -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX=1 -c …/compute_pe.cpp
mpicxx -g -O3 -DLAMMPS_GZIP -I…/…/lib/meam -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX=1 -c …/fix_vector.cpp
mpicxx -g -O3 -DLAMMPS_GZIP -I…/…/lib/meam -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX=1 -c …/molecule.cpp
mpicxx -g -O3 -DLAMMPS_GZIP -I…/…/lib/meam -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX=1 -c …/fix_temp_csvr.cpp
mpicxx -g -O3 -DLAMMPS_GZIP -I…/…/lib/meam -DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX=1 -c …/pair_kim.cpp
…/pair_kim.cpp:42:10: fatal error: KIM_API.h: No such file or directory
#include “KIM_API.h”
^~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
Makefile:102: recipe for target ‘pair_kim.o’ failed
make[1]: *** [pair_kim.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/tejesh/Downloads/lammps-10Feb15/src/Obj_mpi’
Makefile:94: recipe for target ‘mpi’ failed
make: *** [mpi] Error 2

I would really appreciate your help with this error.

Thank you for your time.

Best
Tejesh

Hello,

I think I’ll need more details about all the commands you are using to set this all up, so that I can reproduce it if I need to.

Thanks,

Ryan

Sure!

After downloading and extracting the lammps (lammps-22 Aug-18 & lammps-10 Feb-15) tarball at the required location:

1. lammps>src and then use the command make mpi.
  2. lammps>lib>kim. Extract kim-api-v1.6.0 at this location.
  3. Download and extract Umeno model at lammps>lib>kim>kim-api-v1.6.0>src>models.
  4. Follow the instructions mentioned in the INSTALL file to install at an alternative location.

cp Makefile.KIM_Config.example Makefile.KIM_Config
printf “g/^KIM_DIR/d\ni\nKIM_DIR = pwd\n.\nw\nq\n” | ed Makefile.KIM_Config
prefix=/path/to/alternate/location (I used prefix=/lammps/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0)
printf “g/^#prefix/d\ni\nprefix = ${prefix}\n.\nw\nq\n” | ed Makefile.KIM_Config
make
make install
make install-set-default-to-v1

1. Go to lammps>src. Then make yes-KIM
  2. make mpi.

Thank you for your help.

Best
Tejesh

Hi,
OK. Try this instead:

After downloading and extracting the lammps (lammps-22 Aug-18 & lammps-10 Feb-15) tarball at the required location:

1. lammps>lib>kim. Extract kim-api-v1.6.0 at this location.
  2. Download and extract Umeno model at lammps>lib>kim>kim-api-v1.6.0>src>models.
  3. Follow the instructions mentioned in the INSTALL file to install at an alternative location.

cp Makefile.KIM_Config.example Makefile.KIM_Config
printf “g/^KIM_DIR/d\ni\nKIM_DIR = pwd\n.\nw\nq\n” | ed Makefile.KIM_Config
prefix=/path/to/alternate/location (I used prefix=/lammps/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0)
printf “g/^#prefix/d\ni\nprefix = ${prefix}\n.\nw\nq\n” | ed Makefile.KIM_Config
make
make install
make install-set-default-to-v1

1. Go to lammps>src. Then make lib-kim args=“-p /lammps/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0”
  2. make mpi.
1 Like

Thank you for your help and quick response Ryan. I was able to build lammps following your instructions.
However, I am still having troubles using the Umeno model. The following is the lammps log file.

LAMMPS (23 Jun 2022 - Update 2)

Input file for uniaxial tensile loading of single crystal aluminum

Mark Tschopp, November 2010

------------------------ FORCE FIELDS ------------------------------

#pair_style eam/alloy
#pair_coeff * * Al.eam.alloy Al
kim init Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001 metal

#=== KIM is looking for ‘Portable Models’ in these directories ===

1: .

2: /home/tejesh/.kim-api/2.3.0+GNU.GNU.GNU.2023-01-18-21-01-03/portable-models-dir

3: /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/…/…//lib/kim-api/portable-models

#=== KIM is looking for ‘Simulator Models’ in these directories ===

1: .

2: /home/tejesh/.kim-api/2.3.0+GNU.GNU.GNU.2023-01-18-21-01-03/simulator-models-dir

3: /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/…/…//lib/kim-api/simulator-models

ERROR: KIM Model name not found (…/kim_init.cpp:234)

Last command: kim init Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001 metal

Hi,
Your latest message shows output from LAMMPS 23 Jun 2022. This can’t be the correct executable. You were working with LAMMPS 22 Aug-18 were you not?

Ryan

My bad. I accidentally used the latest LAMMPS version instead of LAMMPS 22 Aug-18.

I followed your instructions and built LAMMPS 22 Aug-18, but when I tried to run the script, i got the following error message:

LAMMPS (22 Aug 2018)

Input file for uniaxial tensile loading of YSZ

Mark Tschopp, November 2010

------------------------ FORCE FIELDS ------------------------------

#pair_style eam/alloy
#pair_coeff * * Al.eam.alloy Al
kim init Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001 metal
ERROR: Unknown command: kim init Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001 metal (…/input.cpp:246)
Last command: kim init Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912_001 metal

Following this I checked for the installed packages and found out that Kim wasn’t installed.
(base) tejesh@tejesh-VirtualBox:~/Desktop/lammps-22Aug18/src$ make ps
Installed NO: package ASPHERE
Installed NO: package BODY
Installed NO: package CLASS2
Installed NO: package COLLOID
Installed NO: package COMPRESS
Installed NO: package CORESHELL
Installed NO: package DIPOLE
Installed NO: package GPU
Installed NO: package GRANULAR
Installed NO: package KIM
Installed NO: package KOKKOS
Installed NO: package KSPACE
Installed NO: package LATTE
Installed NO: package MANYBODY
Installed NO: package MC
Installed NO: package MEAM
Installed NO: package MISC
Installed NO: package MOLECULE
Installed NO: package MPIIO
Installed NO: package MSCG
Installed NO: package OPT
Installed NO: package PERI
Installed NO: package POEMS
Installed NO: package PYTHON
Installed NO: package QEQ
Installed NO: package REAX
Installed NO: package REPLICA
Installed NO: package RIGID
Installed NO: package SHOCK
Installed NO: package SNAP
Installed NO: package SPIN
Installed NO: package SRD
Installed NO: package VORONOI

Installed NO: package USER-ATC
Installed NO: package USER-AWPMD
Installed NO: package USER-BOCS
Installed NO: package USER-CGDNA
Installed NO: package USER-CGSDK
Installed NO: package USER-COLVARS
Installed NO: package USER-DIFFRACTION
Installed NO: package USER-DPD
Installed NO: package USER-DRUDE
Installed NO: package USER-EFF
Installed NO: package USER-FEP
Installed NO: package USER-H5MD
Installed NO: package USER-INTEL
Installed NO: package USER-LB
Installed NO: package USER-MANIFOLD
Installed NO: package USER-MEAMC
Installed NO: package USER-MESO
Installed NO: package USER-MGPT
Installed NO: package USER-MISC
Installed NO: package USER-MOFFF
Installed NO: package USER-MOLFILE
Installed NO: package USER-NETCDF
Installed NO: package USER-OMP
Installed NO: package USER-PHONON
Installed NO: package USER-QMMM
Installed NO: package USER-QTB
Installed NO: package USER-QUIP
Installed NO: package USER-REAXC
Installed NO: package USER-SMD
Installed NO: package USER-SMTBQ
Installed NO: package USER-SPH
Installed NO: package USER-TALLY
Installed NO: package USER-UEF
Installed NO: package USER-VTK

I then tried make yes-KIM and make mpi but still got the same error message.
Please advise.

Thank you for your time and help.

Best
Tejesh

Hi,
OK, something must not be going right during the various build commands.
Do you see any error messages as you build and install the kim-api? What about when you do the make lib-kim --args="..." command?

Ryan

There were no error messages during the build and installation of kim-api. The following is the output after make lib-kim args=“-p /lammps/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0”

(base) tejesh@tejesh-VirtualBox:~/Desktop/lammps-22Aug18/src$ make lib-kim args=“-p /Desktop/lammps-22Aug18/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0”

Installing lib kim
Created /home/tejesh/Desktop/lammps-22Aug18/lib/kim/Makefile.KIM_DIR
using /Desktop/lammps-22Aug18/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0

Please let me know if you know of any earlier LAMMPS versions that came with kim-api-v1.6.0.

Thank you for your help.

Best
Tejesh

Instead of

make lib-kim args=“-p /Desktop/lammps-22Aug18/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0”

try

make lib-kim args=“-p /home/tejesh/Desktop/lammps-22Aug18/lib/kim/kim-api-v1.6.0”

1 Like

Dear Dr. Relliott,
Thanks for your detailed explanation. I followed exactly the five steps given by you. Thanks to your help, I can run the examples/kim/in.kim.lj normally.

But when I modify the input file to use YSZ model for either pure Zr or Zr-O, it gives the same error below.

Attached are the input files. Can you please help me to see what’s wrong with input or potential? Thanks a lot!

in.zr.kim (681 Bytes)
in.zro.kim (402 Bytes)

data.ZrO2 (793 Bytes)

Hello,

You are using “KIMvirial” in the pair_style line. The Dipole_Umeno_YSZ__MO_394669891912 model does not support this feature. Next, I would try replacing “KIMvirial” with “LAMMPSvirial”.