Error in stabilizing cellulose molecule using Reax/c potential

Hello everyone,

I am having some problem to equilibrate a cellulose molecule using Reax/c potential by LAMMPS 14 May 2016 version. I will talk about the simplest case of cellulose having 2 units of glucose rings consisting of 42 atoms but my problem is consistent with higher length scales. For convenience I have attached an image of my system below (2ru.png).

I saw this paper (http://www.pnas.org/content/112/29/8971.abstract) where the authors have used timestep of 0.5 fs but with Reax. Since Reax is getting outdated , I stuck to reax/c and used timesteps 0.05 and 0.5 fs.

First I got segmentation fault which I corrected by checking the mailing list and introducing “safezone 16” and “mincap 1000” to my pair_style reax/c. Should these values be more??? How do I judge what the value will be for a specific system?

My input file looks like this :(also attached below)

INPUT FILE

dimension 3
boundary p p p
units real
atom_style full
newton on

read_data data2rus.cellulose

pair_style reax/c NULL checkqeq no safezone 16 mincap 1000
pair_coeff * * ffield.reax C H O

neighbor 2.0 bin
neigh_modify delay 50 every 10 check yes

timestep 0.05

min_style hftn
min_modify line quadratic
minimize 1.0e-20 1.0e-15 100000000 1000000000

group bead1 molecule 1
group bead2 molecule 2

velocity all create 300.0 4928459 dist gaussian mom yes rot yes loop local units box

dump 1 bead1 custom 20000 releasedall_equilibrate_bead1.lammpstrj id type x y z
dump 2 bead2 custom 20000 releasedall_equilibrate_bead2.lammpstrj id type x y z
dump 3 all custom 20000 releasedall_equilibrate.lammpstrj id type x y z

fix 1 all npt temp 300.0 300.0 0.1 iso 0.0 0.0 1000
run 5000000
unfix 1

fix 2 all nvt temp 300.0 300.0 50
run 5000000
unfix 2

fix 3 all nve
run 1000000

I am constantly getting two errors :

1. While running the simulation for timestep 0.05, the simulation is running but the structure is bending and twitching a lot as I observed from the trajectories. There were no lost atoms though. I am attaching that trajectory file here titled “releasedall_equilibrate.lammpstrj”

2. I also tried changing the minimize style from cg to hftn but still I don’t think I am getting correct dynamics. While running the simulation for timestep 0.5 fs, I am getting an output like that is attached below. I am also attaching my data file. Can you please help me out as to why this is happening?

Thank you so much for your time and help.

LOG FILE

LAMMPS (14 May 2016)
Reading data file …
orthogonal box = (1.5 -6 -14.5) to (14.5 4.5 0.5)
2 by 1 by 2 MPI processor grid
reading atoms …
42 atoms
Finding 1-2 1-3 1-4 neighbors …
Special bond factors lj: 0 0 0
Special bond factors coul: 0 0 0
0 = max # of 1-2 neighbors
0 = max # of 1-3 neighbors
0 = max # of 1-4 neighbors
1 = max # of special neighbors
Reading potential file ffield.reax with DATE: 2010-02-19
WARNING: Resetting reneighboring criteria during minimization (…/min.cpp:168)
Neighbor list info …
1 neighbor list requests
update every 1 steps, delay 0 steps, check yes
max neighbors/atom: 2000, page size: 100000
master list distance cutoff = 12
ghost atom cutoff = 12
binsize = 6, bins = 3 2 3
Setting up hftn style minimization …
Unit style: real
Memory usage per processor = 14481.6 Mbytes
Step Temp Press Volume PotEng KinEng TotEng
0 0 37881.052 2047.5 -4253.6126 0 -4253.6126
50 0 4739.5241 2047.5 -4418.512 0 -4418.512
100 0 -1555.7856 2047.5 -4465.0979 0 -4465.0979
145 0 -1473.3792 2047.5 -4465.0982 0 -4465.0982
Loop time of 131.148 on 4 procs for 144 steps with 42 atoms

99.8% CPU use with 4 MPI tasks x no OpenMP threads

Minimization stats:
Stopping criterion = trust region too small
Energy initial, next-to-last, final =
-4253.6125843 -4465.0981979 -4465.0981979
Force two-norm initial, final = 637.488 6.74525
Force max component initial, final = 196.553 3.38862
Final line search alpha, max atom move = 0 0
Iterations, force evaluations = 144 2358

MPI task timing breakdown:
Section | min time | avg time | max time |%varavg| %total

2ru.png

in.equilibrate (986 Bytes)

data2rus.cellulose (2.5 KB)

releasedall_equilibrate.lammpstrj (192 KB)

The paper did not specify which implementation (reax or reax/c) they used, nor the particular ReaxFF parameterization.

Which force field description did you use for cellulose? Note empirical potentials are not fully transferrable so not any CHO potential is suitable for cellulose. Segmentation fault indicated some sort of bad dynamics, which can be attributed to the particular force field file you used.

Ray

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply. The paper did not use reax/c, they used reax. But I saw in the manual that reax will be obsolete soon, so decided to stick to reax/c.

I used the ffield.reax.mattsson force description for cellulose. I came to know that this paper also used the same. IS it alright? I find that it is applicable for C-H-O system.

If it is bad dynamics, what should I do then? If my data file is correct, then where did I exactly go wrong? Can it be the minimization? Can it be the mincap and safeone specification?

Instead of “pair_style reax/c NULL checkqeq no safezone 16 mincap 1000”, should I specify a lmp_control file as in the CHO example for reax in LAMMPS?

Can you please help me narrow it down? Thank you so much again.

Regards,

The paper vaguely mentioned that they used ReaxFF as implemented in LAMMPS, which did not specify which (reax or reax/c) was used. But I just glanced over the paper – if you find a solid description please let me know.

If the mattsson forcefield did not fit to properties for cellulose and the paper did not compare the forcefield against quantum methods, I would doubt that this force field would be appropriate for cellulose. As I said, empirical potentials are not transferrable and there are at least 10 ReaxFF parameterizations applicable for systems containing C, H, and O. You should see if there is an appropriate forcefield for cellulose.

I noticed you did not use fix qeq/reax to invoke charge equilibration, which is not correct.

In your NPT stage, the volume quickly expanded and the temperature quickly reduced to zero, which is abnormal. Could you try running a NVE stage first? Check if the total energy is more or less conserved.

Ray

Thank you for your reply. I am running the NVE stage first and I am seeing that the volume is not expanding so much now. I will wait to see what final results it gives

But I have a question with fix qeq/reax. I am using atom_style full before. In the data file which has the format " atom-ID molecule-ID atom-type q x y z". The q is specified 0 throughout. DO I still need qeq/reax??

Also if I use qeq/reax, I have to use atom_style format “charge”. Then the format of the data file will be “atom-ID atom-type q x y z”. So I have nowhere to specify the molecule-ID. But I will need that because I am currently specifying each repeat unit of celluylose as one group using the molecule-ID. This I because I will need their individual trajectories as a group to do some calculations later. How will I do that then?

Regards,

Thank you for your reply. I am running the NVE stage first and I am seeing
that the volume is not expanding so much now. I will wait to see what final
results it gives

the volume *cannot* change (unless you have shrinkwrap boundaries).

But I have a question with fix qeq/reax. I am using atom_style full before.
In the data file which has the format " atom-ID molecule-ID atom-type q x y
z". The q is specified 0 throughout. DO I still need qeq/reax??

yes. polarization is going to happen and charges will change.

Also if I use qeq/reax, I have to use atom_style format "charge". Then the

no, you don't "have to".

format of the data file will be "atom-ID atom-type q x y z". So I have
nowhere to specify the molecule-ID. But I will need that because I am
currently specifying each repeat unit of celluylose as one group using the
molecule-ID. This I because I will need their individual trajectories as a
group to do some calculations later. How will I do that then?

atom style full is a superset of atom style charge, so it will work fine.

axel.