fit npt problem, volume not changing as expected

Dear All,

I was trying to calculate a surfactant/water system on a Al2O3 surface.

The simulation box was set up with packmol code, where I placed the Al2O3 at the bottom of a box and then inserted a certain number of surfactant (SDS) and H2O molecules. Since the Al2O3 will be treated rigid, I thought the X and Y lengths of the simulation box are also fixed. In order to make the packing process easier, the Z length was intentionally a larger number (162.5 angstrom instead of the actual 112.5 angstrom, which is estimated from the number of SDS/H2O and their density at such T, P condition).

Once the initial configuration file was prepared, I though the ‘fix npt’ will bring the volume to the correct value. So I am expecting that the X and Y lengths of the box be fixed (due to a rigid Al2O3 surface model) and the Z length will be shrinking from 162.5 angstrom to roughly 112.5 angstrom. Of course the final Z value might be a bit different, because the SDS micellization.

However, this was not I observed. With a few steps, the Z length was expanded to be around 172 angstrom and stayed there for the following 130000 steps (time step 1.0 fs). There is a vacuum like space with few SDS or H2O molecules, see attached to snapshots at step 130000.

I did monitor some other values: the X, Y lengths of the simulation box are not changing during the test run; the center of mass of the Al2O3 is not shifting; the temperature is quite nicely equilibrated around the targeted value; the pressure is fluctuating +/- 200.0 around the setup value 1.0atm, implying the pressure control was not very successful yet.

But what brothers me is, why this was happening? Why the ‘fix npt’ was not able to reduce the volume (the Z length) to a reasonable number? Shall I keep it running for much longer and hope it works? Or I am missing any key control? To me, this looks like both the Al2O3 surface and its mirror images are fixed, preventing the volume from shrinking. Is this what was happening?

The in file is attached. The core part is explained below:

---- core lines from the in file --------

This is to define the groups

group sds type 2 3 4 5 6 7

group na type 8
group al2o3 type 1 9
group water type 10 11
group mobile union sds na water

velocity mobile create 300.0 293288 dist gaussian mom yes rot yes

neighbor 0.3 bin

neigh_modify delay 0 every 1 check yes
neigh_modify exclude molecule al2o3

CFG, Oxygen of H2O is colored as Nitrogen purposely;

dump 3 all cfg 1000 cfg.*.cfg mass type xs ys zs vx vy vz fx fy fz
dump_modify 3 element Al C C O S O C Na O N H
dump_modify 3 sort id

compute tempFree mobile temp
compute pressFree all pressure tempFree

thermo 200

thermo_style custom step vol c_tempFree c_pressFree temp press
thermo_modify line one

fix 1 water shake 0.0001 20 0 b 8 a 9

fix 2 mobile npt temp 300.0 300.0 100.0 iso 1.0 1.0 1000.0
fix_modify 3 temp tempFree press pressFree

run 5000000

----- end of the in file --------

I tried both ‘iso’ and ‘aniso’ in the ‘fix npt’ part, no difference.

Also tried to add this command:

fix 1 al2o3 rigid single force * off off off torque * off off off

However, this brings forth a new problem: the simulation box was expanding nonstop along X, Y and Z directions.

I greatly appreciate any comment and thank you in advance for reading this message!

Best wishes,
Paul

lmp3.in (4.6 KB)

Box_SDSonly.png

Box_all.png

If you don’t want the box to change in x,y, then don’t use npt iso.

Just apply the barostat to the z dimension. You don’t say what

units you are using. Is a time constant of 1000 reasonable in your units?

Print out the pzz component of pressure. Is it bigger or smaller than

your target pressure? Is the z box dimension changing in the correct

direction relative to Ptarget - pzz ?

Steve

Dear Huang,

Maybe you can use a fix deform, to bring your system closer to the equilibrium density, and after that apply the barostat to the system (with the aniso option as Steve said, to control only the z axis pressure, if that is what you desire).

in addition to steve's suggestion, please also keep in mind that for
any variable cell algorithm it is generally "easier" to expand than to
compress, as the latter usually requires additional reordering or
atoms and can be subject to jamming. thus if you start from an
"artificial" configuration as in your case, you will start from a high
potential energy, resulting in high pressure and thus forcing the cell
to expand, often far beyond the equilibrium. thus it is always better
to either keep the volume fixed for a while until the potential energy
and pressure has relaxed, or initially use too high a pressure target
that is then gradually relaxed to the desired value as your system
equilibrates. for complex multi-component systems, it is also often
beneficial to relax each component separately before letting all
particles move, so that you don't get unphysical geometries at the
boundaries. this is most important in soft-matter simulations, where
the structures are very sensitive and it can take a very long time to
have a system reassemble to a suitably ordered state after initial
high potential energy spots have caused unwanted disorder.

axel.

Hi Steve, James, Axel,

Thanks for the comments.

(a)
The unit is ‘real’, and the timestep is 2.0 fs. It is emphasized from the documentation that:

“A good choice for many models is a Pdamp of around 1000 timesteps. Not that this is NOT the same as 1000 time units for most units settings”

So maybe I shall try using 1000 x 2.0 fs = 2000.0 fs for Pdamp here?

(b)
I did try to apply the barostat to the Z direction only:

fix 2 mobile npt temp 360.0 360.0 100.0 z 1.0 1.0 1000.0

After 1E5 steps, the volume was around 2475914.6 angstrom^3, shrinked from the original 2549795.8 angsstrom^3 (after minimization). That is about 2% volume change, much smaller than what I was expecting.

Attached snapshot, “barostat_Z_only.png”, still shows unoccupied regions, which does not make physical sense.

©
Strongly agree with What Axel suggested!

I used a larger Z length, ~ 5nm more than the estimated Z value, to pack the SDS,H2O and the Al2O3 surface model easily via packmol code. Actually, packmol does a good job if I use the estimated Z length. However, the Topo Tools from VMD will generate more bond, angle and dihedral types than the actual case. Maybe I should have adjusted the vdw settings in the Topo tcl script to work it around, instead of using a larger tolerance in packmol, which requires a larger volume (here a bigger Z).

The procedures (initial fixed volume run; a higher initial P; relax components separately) Axel suggested are indeed very helpful. I’ll try them and update you later.

Thanks again!

Paul

barostat_Z_only.png