Hertz/history and fix move linear integration

Hello users,

I was simulating granular system and I wanted to use fix move linear and Hertz/history together. I noticed that for Hertz History model, the force of interaction is given by the one mentioned in the documentation and meff=m1*m2/(m1+m2) comes into the picture.

Now, if I move a particle at constant velocity, then the meff definition must change because we are making one particle move at constant velocity. Infact, the force of interaction must become independent of the mass of the particle moving at constant velocity.

Hence, I decided to see if the force changes if I change the mass of the particle moving at constant velocity to see if the force remains independent of the mass of the particle moving at constant velocity. I expected the force to change owing to the Hertz formula but the force remained constant (which is the case) which shows that lammps computed the force correctly.

I wanted to know what definition of meff lammps used in this case as the force of collision remained exactly the same even though the mass of the particle moving at constant velocity was changed. If it used the same definition, then why didn’t the force change? How did fix move linear take care of this? I need to understand how lammps computed this.

Thanking You

Sonu Kumar

3rd Year, B’Tech

Chemical Engineering, IITG

Hi Sonu,

I am definitely unclear on what exactly you are doing, and I don’t imagine I’m alone in this. Your set-up (not just the mention of a fix and pair style used) is going to matter here.

In any case, you can always look at the pair_ file and confirm for yourself what’s being computed.