Installation error

Hello,

When I compile lammps with make yes-all and then make mpi in the src/ dir I got this error:

Makefile.package.settings:7: …/…/lib/electrode/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:8: …/…/lib/atc/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:11: …/…/lib/qmmm/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:13: …/…/lib/poems/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:14: …/…/lib/plumed/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:16: …/…/lib/mscg/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
…/…/lib/quip/Makefile.lammps:17: *** Environment or make variable QUIP_ROOT must be set… Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/mnt/c/Users/Asif_EM/Desktop/main/mylammps/src/Obj_serial’
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/mnt/c/Users/Asif_EM/Desktop/main/mylammps/src/Obj_serial’
Makefile.package.settings:7: …/…/lib/electrode/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:8: …/…/lib/atc/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:11: …/…/lib/qmmm/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:13: …/…/lib/poems/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:14: …/…/lib/plumed/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
Makefile.package.settings:16: …/…/lib/mscg/Makefile.lammps: No such file or directory
…/…/lib/quip/Makefile.lammps:17: *** Environment or make variable QUIP_ROOT must be set… Stop.

Can you help me to resolve what it means? I am installing on wsl2. All lib are installed.

A

You installed a lot of packages without doing then required additional steps. You probably tried using “make yes-all” which is a bad idea unless you know exactly what you are doing and follow the documentation very carefully.

The general recommendations is:
First do a “make nö-all” and then try to compile a version of LAMMPS without any additional packages.
Then try with “make yes-basic” and then compile an executable with a few core packages. If then works, you can then add individual packages as you need them or use “make yes-most” to install all packages that do not require additional steps. For all other packages you need to carefully read and follow the additional steps explained in the manual.

Alternately, you can try using the CMake build process which can do more steps automatically and will check if prerequisites are available, which the conventional make process cannot and thus you have to check yourself and have to do things manually as documented.