Installing GULP

Hi Julian,

Thank you so much. I was able to find a solution.

Best,

Jack

@julian: What is the timeline looking like for the next minor GULP release? I ask because I still have to use the fix in this thread in order to deal with the -framework accelerate issue.

Hi Andrew,
There is a new release of GULP (6.2) that I hope to make available very soon. The issue has been that about a year ago our IT people migrated the GULP website to a new platform. Since then I’ve been waiting to get access to it for adding new versions etc. I’m assured they should be sending me a solution today, though whether this will happen or not, who knows. As soon as I can get access, I’ll be posting this new version. Sorry for the wait.
Regards,
Julian

Hi @julian,

Totally understand! Thanks for the info as well. Having the updated features will be great, and it will also help with trainees trying to compile GULP once the -framework fix is included in the next release.

Dear all
I am trying to install GULP on my pc linux operating system, but the response that I got is that “cd …/…/Utils/pGFNFF/Src/; make FC=‘gfortran -framework accelerate -fallow-argument-mismatch ’ FCFLAGS=’-O3 -ffpe-summary=invalid,zero,overflow -I… ’
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/home/belaynew/software/gulp-6.1.1/Utils/pGFNFF/Src’
gfortran -framework accelerate -fallow-argument-mismatch -O3 -ffpe-summary=invalid,zero,overflow -I… -c m_pgfnff_types.F90
gfortran: error: accelerate: No such file or directory
gfortran: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-framework’
gfortran: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fallow-argument-mismatch’; did you mean ‘-Wno-argument-mismatch’?
make[1]: *** [Makefile:111: m_pgfnff_types.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/belaynew/software/gulp-6.1.1/Utils/pGFNFF/Src’
make: *** [makefile:278: …/…/Utils/pGFNFF/Src//libpGFNFF.a] Error 2
mv: cannot stat ‘gulp’: No such file or directory”

which line is to be edited? Thank you for your consideration!

You just need to edit mkgulp and remove the “-framework accelerate” option (as this is Mac specific) and “-fallow-argument-mismatch” (since this depends on the version of gfortran you are using, as described in the README file).

Hi, dear all @julian,
I’m trying to use “./mkgulp -m” to compile the mkgulp (old gfortran) but receive a error message:
“/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lscalapack
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [makefile:221: gulp] Error 1
mv: cannot stat ‘gulp’: No such file or directory”
Have anyone encountered this problem before?
Thanks,
Regards

This just means you haven’t updated the mkgulp file to pointer to where you’ve installed Scalapack.
As per the instructions at the top of the file, you need to look for the USER sections to compile in parallel so that you specify the link commands specific to your system. Look for the bit that says:

#–USER–End

Provide the location and name of Scalapack, Blacs, and Pblas libraries if running in parallel:

#–USER–Start