LAMMPS: getting non-zero virial after relaxing 4 parallel fix rigid rods with 0-temperature Langevin dynamic

Hi,
I am using fix rigid to glue beads in a rod. I relax my system to a zero force configuration using 0-temp Langevin dynamics. when I checked a pair of rigid rods with 3 beads in each rod, I found that the fix constraint is not exactly kept, and the error is in the sixth digit. the rods are slightly bending.

I put four parallel rods (short or long) in a box which are free floating in space. then I relax them and calculate sum of the bead_wise Virial_x. My hypothesis is that since the bundle is not connected to anywhere, the virial in x direction has to be zero. These are the result I get from LAMMPS: a = spacing between beads, sigma = box units, box length = 60

this is the LAMMPS input file:

atom_style molecular
read_data data_4r3B.dat
mass 1 1
mass 2 1

fix fixRods all rigid molecule
fix fixLangevinOSC all langevin 0.0 0.0 10.0 1234 zero yes
fix fixNVEOSC all nve
timestep 0.05
compute PotentialEOSC all pe
fix fixPEOSC all ave/time 1 1 1 c_PotentialEOSC file pot_relaxing_eps_0.txt

compute peratomOSC all stress/atom pair
compute pOSC all reduce sum c_peratomOSC[1] c_peratomOSC[2] c_peratomOSC[3] c_peratomOSC[4] c_peratomOSC[5] c_peratomOSC[6]

thermo 10
thermo_style custom step temp pe etotal press xlo xhi
thermo_modify flush yes
dump dumpCus all custom 10000000 4rods3B.xyz.* type x y z fx fy fz c_peratomOSC[1] c_peratomOSC[2] c_peratomOSC[3] vx vy vz
dump_modify dumpCus format “%d %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g %20.15g” sort id

pair_style lj/cut 1.58
pair_coeff 1 1 0.001 1.0 1.1225
pair_coeff 2 2 0.10 1.0 1.58
pair_coeff 1 2 0.001 1.0 1.1225
neigh_modify exclude molecule all
log log_manualRelax_eps_0.dat
run 10000000

1. 4rods, 3beads in each, a/sigma = 1.0 —> LAMMPS Virial_x = -2.9e-13 - This case LAMMPS giving zero value for virial.
    beads are colored based on Virial_x
    4r3B.png
  2. 4rods, 21beads in each, a/sigma = 1.0 —> LAMMPS Virial_x = -5.16e-5 - LAMMPS reports non-zero virial in x direction.
    3.png
  3. 4rods, 51beads in each, a/sigma = 1.0 —> LAMMPS Virial_x = -0.00153210 - LAMMPS reports non-zero virial in x direction.
    4r51B.png
  4. 4rods, 51beads in each, a/sigma = 0.4 —> LAMMPS Virial_x = -0.0289228943

Looks like error depends on BOTH Number of beads in a rod, and a/sigma.

In all case studies, all the beads are type 2 particles.
Do you have any insight on why I would get non-zero virial for a free floating bundle? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
-Navid Kazem

PhD Candidate, Soft Machines Lab
Civil and Environmental Engineering Department
Carnegie Mellon University

Do you have any insight on why I would get non-zero virial for a free floating bundle? Any help would be appreciated

First, I suggest you try it with the most current version of LAMMPS.

There were some recent changes to fix rigid which might have affected the virial.

Second, if a rod is experiencing no force from other rods (you can check this

by dumping the force per atom), but it is rotating, that means that on one timestep

the positions of the atoms would move to new positions that would not satisfy

the rigid constraint. Which means that the rigid body integrator has to correct

the atoms, which means there is an internal constraint forced imposed by

the body, which contributes to the virial of the system. It’s not clear to me

that that contribution should be zero for a free, spinning body. You can exclude

it from the virial (if you wish) via the compute pressure or compute stress/atom

commands - it’s the “fix” part of the virial.

Steve

3.png

4r51B.png

4r3B.png

BTW, a good test would be to compute the pressure of system

of one or a couple freely spinning SHAKE waters and see if that

virial is also non-zero, and the same as what fix rigid gives. SHAKE

constraints for a rigid water have a similar virial contribution as

fix rigid.

Steve

4r51B.png

3.png