Lpad reset works on one cluster but not another using the same my_launchpad.yaml file

I’m a researcher at Penn State. We have two clusters here. I managed to use lpad reset on one cluster to connect to my MongoDB Atlas using the following my_launchpad.yaml file:
host: mongodb+srv://nigelcluster.2nfvbhl.mongodb.net
port: 27017
name: nigelhew-fws
username: nigelhew
password:
ssl_ca_certs:
logdir:
strm_lvl: INFO
user_indices: []
wf_user_indices: []
ssl: true
authsource: admin

However, when I tried using the same my_launchpad.yaml file on the other cluster. I get the following error:

ValueError: FireWorks was not able to connect to MongoDB at mongodb+srv://nigelcluster.2nfvbhl.mongodb.net:27017. Is the server running? The database file specified was /storage/work/njh5724/matse580_dft/dfttk/config/my_launchpad.yaml.

Does anyone know why??

For debugging connection issues, I would suggest first trying to connect to MongoDB directly through pymongo or another officially supported MongoDB tool from your second cluster. If it works through those tools, then it’s something to do with the FireWorks config. If it doesn’t work through those tools, it’s likely to do with the way the cluster and its firewalls are configured and those need to be changed first.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I can connect with pymongo. The FireWorks==2.0.3 is on both clusters. Do you have any suggestions on why I could try?

Nigel

Sorry, if it’s the same launchpad file and you can confirm that pymongo can connect directly (and can read/write data), I am not sure what could be the cause. FireWorks basically takes the information you provide and just connects through pymongo. You may have to do a comparison to see what’s being done differently in the direct pymongo connection you’ve set up vs FireWorks.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try to do that. I am also contacting the IT people to see if it is a firewall issue.

Also, I am using FireWorks==2.0.3 and pymongo==4.1.1. If you think of anything, please let me know.

The full error is below:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/storage/home/njh5724/.conda/envs/dfttk/bin/lpad”, line 10, in
sys.exit(lpad())
File “/storage/home/njh5724/.conda/envs/dfttk/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fireworks/scripts/lpad_run.py”, line 1551, in lpad
args.func(args)
File “/storage/home/njh5724/.conda/envs/dfttk/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fireworks/scripts/lpad_run.py”, line 197, in reset
lp = get_lp(args)
File “/storage/home/njh5724/.conda/envs/dfttk/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fireworks/scripts/lpad_run.py”, line 142, in get_lp
raise ValueError(err_message) from None
ValueError: FireWorks was not able to connect to MongoDB at mongodb+srv://nigelcluster.2nfvbhl.mongodb.net:27017. Is the server running? The database file specified was /storage/work/njh5724/matse580_dft/dfttk/config/my_launchpad.yaml.

It has something to do with the lpad_run.py.

Issue fixed - It was a firewall issue on the cluster.

Thanks for taking the time to update on the situation! Good to know.

1 Like