Matminer features.composition broken?

When running a notebook I generated about six months ago, I am encountering an error when I try and load ElementFraction from matminer.featurizers.compostion. The versions of the two libraries are the latest (as of this writing) with pip listing there version numbers as matminer 0.9.0 and pymatgen as 2024.3.1. Simply attempting to load the library featurizers.composition results in an error from pymatgen.core.periodictable relating to “Unexpected atomic number Z=119”. Is this a pymatgen problem?

`from matminer.featurizers.composition import ElementFraction

ValueError Traceback (most recent call last)
Cell In[4], line 1
----> 1 from matminer.featurizers.composition import ElementFraction

File /data/mamba/envs/pymatgen/lib/python3.12/site-packages/matminer/featurizers/composition/init.py:1
----> 1 from matminer.featurizers.composition.alloy import Miedema, WenAlloys, YangSolidSolution
2 from matminer.featurizers.composition.composite import ElementProperty, Meredig
3 from matminer.featurizers.composition.element import (
4 BandCenter,
5 ElementFraction,
6 Stoichiometry,
7 TMetalFraction,
8 )

File /data/mamba/envs/pymatgen/lib/python3.12/site-packages/matminer/featurizers/composition/alloy.py:16
13 from pymatgen.core.periodic_table import get_el_sp
15 from matminer.featurizers.base import BaseFeaturizer
—> 16 from matminer.featurizers.composition.packing import AtomicPackingEfficiency
17 from matminer.featurizers.utils.stats import PropertyStats
18 from matminer.utils.data import CohesiveEnergyData, MagpieData, MixingEnthalpy

File /data/mamba/envs/pymatgen/lib/python3.12/site-packages/matminer/featurizers/composition/packing.py:13
10 from sklearn.neighbors import NearestNeighbors
12 from matminer.featurizers.base import BaseFeaturizer
—> 13 from matminer.featurizers.composition.element import ElementFraction
14 from matminer.featurizers.utils.stats import PropertyStats
15 from matminer.utils.data import MagpieData

File /data/mamba/envs/pymatgen/lib/python3.12/site-packages/matminer/featurizers/composition/element.py:202
198 def implementors(self):
199 return [“Jiming Chen”, “Logan Ward”]
→ 202 class BandCenter(BaseFeaturizer):
203 “”"
204 Estimation of absolute position of band center using electronegativity.
206 Features
207 - Band center
208 “”"
210 magpie_data = MagpieData()

File /data/mamba/envs/pymatgen/lib/python3.12/site-packages/matminer/featurizers/composition/element.py:210, in BandCenter()
202 class BandCenter(BaseFeaturizer):
203 “”"
204 Estimation of absolute position of band center using electronegativity.
206 Features
207 - Band center
208 “”"
→ 210 magpie_data = MagpieData()
211 deml_data = DemlData()
213 def featurize(self, comp):

File /data/mamba/envs/pymatgen/lib/python3.12/site-packages/matminer/utils/data.py:217, in MagpieData.init(self)
215 except (ValueError, IndexError):
216 prop_value = float(“NaN”)
→ 217 self.all_elemental_props[descriptor_name][Element.from_Z(atomic_no).symbol] = prop_value

File /data/mamba/envs/pymatgen/lib/python3.12/site-packages/pymatgen/core/periodic_table.py:526, in ElementBase.from_Z(Z, A)
524 if data[“Atomic no”] == Z and atomic_mass_num == A:
525 return Element(sym)
→ 526 raise ValueError(f"Unexpected atomic number {Z=}")

ValueError: Unexpected atomic number Z=119
`

Please search for other issues in the future; this error has been reported multiple times and is fixed in the main branch of matminer. I will be preparing a release very soon that updates the dependencies to solve this. In the meantime you should install the pinned versions of the dependencies from GitHub.

In fact, this has prompted me to push the release through now. You shouldn’t run into this issue with matminer 0.9.1 – please report any follow-up problems on GitHub.