OpenGL context for viewport window has not been created

Hello,

I downloaded the latest linux version of ovito 3.10.4 on rocky linux and i tried to open the binary from terminal but i get a black screen and then i get the error of “OpenGL context …”, what am I missing, or what should I install?

Thanks

This can happen when the graphics driver updates and can be solved by restarting the computer. If the issue persists you can check the troubleshooting section of the manual. Please report back if this does not solve your issue so we can discuss next steps.

Yes, this sounds like a Qt compatibility problem or a general graphics driver issue. Are you using our .tar.xz archive distribution of OVITO or the conda package? I assume you have been successfully running an older version of OVITO in the same system environment. We did not change the version of the Qt framework (6.5.3) or any other parts of OpenGL viewport code in the 3.10.x series of OVITO releases, which could cause this kind of error. But the conda package uses the latest Qt framework version (6.6.2), which could potentially make a difference.

Yea, that did the trick, thank you.

I am using ur .tar.xz from the website. I am trying to switch from Mac to Linux because I am mounting my folder on the cluster using macfuse and sometimes it lags. And if I force quit OVITO (when frozen, especially when trying to load two files in two OVITO’s instances) then the whole machine will crash, and I am attempting to know if it’s an issue of network mounting or the machine itself or OVITO(I dont think it’s OVITO, as other things sometime freeze too).

1 Like