Overriding the _fw_template_file of a queue_adapter

Hi,

First of all, thanks a lot for developing fireworks and making it publicly available.

The documentation (e.g. https://materialsproject.github.io/fireworks/queue_tutorial_pt2.html) mentions that it is possible to override the default parameters of the queue_adapter, by using the _queue_adapter keyword in spec.

I’ve had no problems modifying parameters such as walltime in this way. However, when I tried to modify the _fw_template_file, it did not seem to have any impact. Here is how I was trying to do it:

fw = Firework( [firetask1, firetask2, firetask3], name=name,
                   spec={'_queueadapter':
                            {'_fw_template_file': '/absolute/path/to/template/file' })
    launchpad.add_wf(fw)

Any advice on the above? Is this feature simply not supported, or did I do something wrong in the way I am using it?

Hi Remi,

The “_qadapter” overrides are really for overriding the parameters in the template file rather than changing the queueadapter that gets loaded. The underscore for “_fw_template_file” is intended to indicate that this an internal variable controlling which QueueAdapter class gets loaded and with what template file.

What you can change with “_qadapter” overrides are all the variables inside the template files like those in: fireworks/user_objects/queue_adapters/SLURM_template.txt

That said, I am not quite sure why you would want the firework itself to decide which template file to use. Usually, the choice of template (e.g., whether to use a SLURM template or a PBS template) would depend on the machine you are running on rather than the firework that is getting run.

Could you explain a little more about the functionality you are trying to achieve? We might be able to advise on how to best get there.

Btw, if you are around LBNL, I and many of the other FWs developers are in 33-306 today (apart from lunch hours) doing mostly programming work in case you want to stop by and ask any questions in person.

Best,

Anubhav

···

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 3:43:43 PM UTC-7, Rémi Lehe wrote:

Hi,

First of all, thanks a lot for developing fireworks and making it publicly available.

The documentation (e.g. https://materialsproject.github.io/fireworks/queue_tutorial_pt2.html) mentions that it is possible to override the default parameters of the queue_adapter, by using the _queue_adapter keyword in spec.

I’ve had no problems modifying parameters such as walltime in this way. However, when I tried to modify the _fw_template_file, it did not seem to have any impact. Here is how I was trying to do it:

fw = Firework( [firetask1, firetask2, firetask3], name=name,
                   spec={'_queueadapter':
                            {'_fw_template_file': '/absolute/path/to/template/file' })
    launchpad.add_wf(fw)

Any advice on the above? Is this feature simply not supported, or did I do something wrong in the way I am using it?