Ovito prohibitively slow with large trajectory files

Hello,

I noticed there is a related post to this topic on the Pro discussion board, but unfortunately I am not a Pro user, so I cannot access it there. Apologies if this post duplicates that discussion.

I run simulations in LAMMPS where I can generate many new bonds (~100,000) over the course of a simulation. Following the Ovito documentation, I choose to output atom info and bond info into separate dump files from LAMMPS, the latter of which I can then import as a trajectory for the atoms in order to account for the dynamic nature of these bonds.

For a simulation with approx. 290,000 atoms, and 300,000 to 400,000 bonds, plus 2 STL files (20,000 triangles each) I visualize at each frame, for 15-20 frames total, both simply visualizing and also rendering animation of the system are practically infeasible. I think rendering took ~4 hours.

Originally, I thought this might be a limitation of my laptop (M1 MacBook pro with 16GB RAM) or Ovito version (3.5.4), so I tried it on my windows PC (64GB RAM) using a more current version of Ovito (3.8.5), and still am experiencing the same issue (it almost seems worse on the PC?). My dump files are stored on Google Drive, but I made sure they were downloaded/available offline prior to visualization just in case that was the issue.

Is there anything I could do to work around this? I don’t feel like the numbers of atoms and bonds I’m working with are truly that large compared to some users, and in particular the problem appears to specifically be the bond dump files as trajectories.

Thanks in advance!

Let’s try to get to the bottom of this. First, could you please update your OVITO versions and could you please let us know if you are working with compressed (*.gz) dump files?

I updated to 3.9.4 Basic on my PC, and am experiencing similar issues yet.

My dump files are not compressed. They are ~14-17MB each.

Thank you! It would be really helpful if you could share those files with us, so we can investigate further. I’m sending you a private message.