quartic bond pressure tensor calculation

Hello,

I am performing a simulation in which I begin with FENE bonds and then switch to quartic bonds. I have read the quartic bonds page in the lammps manual, and understand the modified calculation for determining the energy after quartic bond failure. However, I am having an issue with the pressure as soon as I switch my system over to quartic (prior to breaking quartic bonds). I am wondering if this computational “sleight-of-hand” is also performed for the pressure tensor, because there seems to be an issue when bonds are changed from FENE to quartic–the simulation box quickly blows up. There are 2 log files written out in my simulation–1 for time lapsed under a FENE potential, and another for time lapsed for the quartic potential. These 2 log files contain a common timestep, which is the last timestep of FENE and the first timestep of quartic. Thus, their pressure values at this timestep should be equal, but the magnitude of the pressure in the quartic log file is significantly higher and the box rapidly expands at all times thereafter.
Here is the input file:

variable T equal 0.6
variable ts equal .01

variable EXPONENT equal 1/6
variable BASE equal (2^${EXPONENT})

units lj
dimension 3

atom_style bond

read_data …/lammps_inputs/interlocking_middle_beads_data_fix1.polymer

bond_style fene
bond_coeff 1 30.0 1.3 1.0 1.0
bond_coeff 2 30.0 1.3 1.0 1.0

*pair_style lj/cut {BASE}* <i>pair_coeff * * 1.0 1.0 {BASE}
pair_coeff 3 4 3.0 1.0 ${BASE}

special_bonds lj/coul 0.0 1.0 1.0

velocity all create T {vseed} mom yes rot yes dist gaussian
fix 1 all press/berendsen iso 0.0 0.0 10
fix 2 all langevin $T T 2 {vseed}
fix 3 all nve

thermo_style custom step temp press pe ke ebond etotal epair lx ly lz xlo xhi ylo yhi zlo zhi
run_style respa 2 4 bond 1 pair 2
dump 1 all xyz 10000 …/generation/trajectory/trajectory_{usic}_{method}4_{k}_{trial}.gen.xyz

thermo 100
run 10000000
write_restart …/generation/restart/restart_{usic}_{method}4_{k}_{trial}.gen

bond_style quartic
bond_coeff 1 1200 -0.55 0.25 1.3 34.6878
bond_coeff 2 ${k} -0.55 0.25 1.3 34.6878

*pair_style lj/cut {BASE}* <i>pair_coeff * * 1.0 1.0 {BASE}
pair_coeff 3 4 3.0 1.0 ${BASE}

special_bonds lj/coul 1.0 1.0 1.0

thermo_style custom step temp press pe ke ebond etotal epair lx ly lz xlo xhi ylo yhi zlo zhi
run_style respa 2 4 bond 1 pair 2
dump 2 all xyz 10000 …/quartic/trajectory/trajectory_{usic}_{method}4_{k}_{trial}.quar.xyz

thermo 100
run 1000000
write_restart …/quartic/restart/restart_{usic}_{method}4_{k}_{trial}.quar

Thank you for your time and advice.

These 2 log files contain a common timestep, which is the last timestep of FENE and the first timestep of quartic. Thus, >their pressure values at this timestep should be equal, but the magnitude of the pressure in the quartic log file is >significantly higher and the box rapidly expands at all times thereafter.

Why should the pressure at the end of the FENE run and the start of the quartic

run be the same? You have changed the model and the forces, hence the pressure

can be different, same as if you changed the pair style. I suggest you run

with NVE after switching to quartic. If you can’t run stably with NVE, then

you shouldn’t be trying to run with NPT. And even running with NVT may be

problematic if your switch to quartic has introduced huge forces.

Steve