Recording and questions for Alán Aspuru-Guzik - "The Future of Chemistry is Self-Driving"

Speaker

Alán Aspuru-Guzik is a professor at the University of Toronto and a pioneer in quantum computing, machine learning, and chemistry. He leads the Acceleration Consortium to facilitate future lab research and has contributed to the development of quantum algorithms for chemical systems. He co-founded Zapata Computing and Kebotix and serves as the editor-in-chief of the journal Digital Discovery.

Date

Monday January 22nd, 2024 - 10am (USA/Pacific)

Abstract

In this talk, I will overview the growing field of self-driving laboratories (SDLs). Self-driving laboratories are systems that help accelerate the process of scientific discovery or scale-up by employing artificial intelligence and automation for experiment planning and execution. Several SDLs have been already demonstrated globally, and the field is racing towards more robust and complex applications. I will go over essential elements of SDLs and will use examples from research from my group and collaborators as examples. At the University of Toronto, we have launched the Acceleration Consortium. This new significant initiative recently received CAD 200M in funding to accelerate self-driving laboratories for chemistry, materials science and biotechnology. I will briefly discuss what the AC is doing and how to collaborate or get involved with our efforts.

2 Likes