Segmentation fault at launch on M1 MacBook Air

I am running macOS Big Sur, version 11.6 on the MacBook M1 chip. I installed Ovito 3.9.4, and when I try to launch the application, I get a lengthy problem report from Ovito where the termination signal was a segfault.

I noted another users post about a similar issue, however their problem seemed to resolve when removing a second monitor. I am not using any external devices at the moment.

Previously I had been using a much older version of Ovito (3.5) and this issue did not occur until I updated today.

Could you please attach the crash report that macOS generates? Then we can tell whether it is related to the other issue you mentioned. It would be interesting indeed if, in your case, a second display is not involved. Thank you.

Please use the following debug build of OVITO Basic to generate the crash report. This version was built using a debug version of the latest Qt framework, which we suspect to be responsible for the crash, and can give us much more precise information about the location of the problem in the Qt source code. Thank you.

https://www.ovito.org/download/testing/ovito-basic-3.10.0-dev-HEAD-68303e5f-macos-arm64-debug.dmg

If you have difficulties attaching the crash report here, please send it as an email to [email protected].

Hi. I wanted to ask again if you had a chance to test the debug build of OVITO for macOS that I posted earlier? We are in urgent need of a more precise crash report, as this problem continues to elude direct analysis on our computers. Without a crash report, we have no chance of solving this bug in the current LTS version of the Qt framework.