time step for reax

Dear Lammps Users & Developers

I am using the Reax/C potential for a simple tensile simulation.

I found the time step for Reax potential in some input script and literature smaller than 1 femto second (~0.5 fms).

I used the time step = 1 femto second and it seems there is no any visual problem and the temperature fluctuation is very reasonable, and the results seems not bad.

but I am worry because of qeq, I must use time step smaller than 1 fms that have very computational time cost. I tried to understand is it necessary for very small time step and why, but I cant find any valuable reason. please advise me

Thanks in advance

Hadi

I guess you need to improve your searching skills. The question of how to choose a suitable time step has been discussed on this very list many times. It also is a fundamental topic in any text book on MD. In fact, if you cannot find an answer to this, you should not be running MD.

Axel.

Dear Axel

Thanks for your attention. I searched in mailing list but couldn’t valuable topic for suitable timestep and reax.
I think because of qeq in reax potential there is a limitation to choose timestep. I study some documentation from van Duin

and the effect of some parameters like charge equilibrium tolerance but cant clear notation for time step. but I need some advise for timestep in reax potential. if it is possible please give me a reference that describe suitable timestep for reaxff potential

Thanks

Hadi

Dear Axel
Thanks for your attention. I searched in mailing list but couldn't valuable
topic for suitable timestep and reax.
I think because of qeq in reax potential there is a limitation to choose
timestep. I study some documentation from van Duin
and the effect of some parameters like charge equilibrium tolerance but cant
clear notation for time step. but I need some advise for timestep in reax
potential. if it is possible please give me a reference that describe
suitable timestep for reaxff potential

you *still* need to improve your searching and problem solving skills.
you have looked for the wrong answer. the procedure of finding a
suitable time step in an MD run is completely independent of using
reaxff or charge equilibration. true, they have an effect, but so do
other force field components. as i said, this is standard text book
stuff. obviously, this is the place where you have not looked.

axel.