Using DOS featurizer of Matminer for data of any database other than Materials Project

I am facing issues as I could not figure out how to use DOSFeaturizer or any other structure based featurizer for the datasets from C2DB database.
I have problem in getting the structures of the compounds from different database.
There are many examples where composition based featurizers were used…but no example for structure bsed featurizer is avavilable.
Please help me out.
@ardunn

Hi @photon01 thanks for posting here!

So to use structure featurizers or DOS featurizers, you need to put the data into a form matminer can understand. Matminer uses pymatgen under the hood for representing structures and density of states objects, so if your data can be transformed to pymatgen objects, you can use the matminer featurizers.

Essentially, your workflow will be this:

Raw data → Pymatgen → Matminer featurizers

If you are doing this en masse, matminer has utilities that can do this without the intermediate pymatgen step (for some cases). So your workflow would be:

Raw data → Matminer conversion classes → Matminer featurizers

Pymatgen - Structure data

You can browse some of the pymatgen I/O here: pymatgen/pymatgen/io at master · materialsproject/pymatgen · GitHub

There are interfaces for a lot of input/output files from computational software.

Similarly, you can do simple stuff like reading CIF files just from the structure class using Structure.from_file. Looking at the data on the C2DB briefly, it looks like they use ASE (i.e., from the Band Alignment example in their docs), which can be converted to pymatgen structures (see ASEAtomsAdapter here).

Matminer - Structure data

If you want to do this en masse, especially from a dataframe, you can use the ASEAtomsToStructure conversion featurizer. Then use any of the structure featurizers that are applicable.

Bandstructure

As far as bandstructure data goes, you may be on your own a bit as I’m not familiar with C2DB. Seems like they have some Db entries for stuff like the CBM/VBM but not the entire bandstructure or DOS as any kind of programmatic object?

It may be worth contacting them to see if they have programmatic access to the full BS/DOS, particularly in Pymatgen format. If you can convert the DOS to pymatgen format, you can use the matminer featurizers.

Also, if you want some more examples, check out here: https://github.com/hackingmaterials/matminer_exampleshttps://github.com/hackingmaterials/matminer_examples

Though some of these examples are a bit old!

@ardunn
thank you so much.
I will try and see what I get.

@ardunn Sir
I took DOS without SOC column from C2DB databse and featurize it using the code:

and the result I got is:

Last 30 feature columns are empty. The names of last few columns are
cbm_sf,cbm_pd,cbm_pf,cbm_df,vbm_s,vbm_p,vbm_d,vbm_f,vbm_sp,vbm_sd,vbm_sf,vbm_pd,vbm_pf,vbm_df,cbm_hybridization,cbm_character_1,cbm_specie_1,cbm_location_1,cbm_score_1,vbm_hybridization,vbm_character_1,vbm_specie_1,vbm_location_1,vbm_score_1
How can this problem be resolved?