Using Fireworks with an open IP address over an HPC cluster

Dear all,

I have tried to connect to a MongoDB database from an HPC cluster (M100 at Cineca). I have contacted the HPC help desk and we managed to whitelist the IP address of the database. I have managed to connect successfully to it once I was on the login node. However, when I try to launch a simulation on the compute node, I received the following error message

File "/m100/home/userexternal/ochehaim/miniconda3/envs/tribchem/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pymongo/topology.py", line 220, in _select_servers_loop
    (self._error_message(selector), timeout, self.description))
pymongo.errors.ServerSelectionTimeoutError: No primary available for writes, Timeout: 30s, Topology Description: <TopologyDescription id: 63089acbe8c856497cd7b78c, topology_type: ReplicaSetNoPrimary, servers: [<ServerDescription ('cluster0-shard-00-00.pj6wi.mongodb.net', 27017) server_type: RSSecondary, rtt: 0.021975754328072073>, <ServerDescription ('cluster0-shard-00-01.pj6wi.mongodb.net', 27017) server_type: Unknown, rtt: None, error=AutoReconnect('cluster0-shard-00-01.pj6wi.mongodb.net:27017: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable')>, <ServerDescription ('cluster0-shard-00-02.pj6wi.mongodb.net', 27017) server_type: Unknown, rtt: None, error=AutoReconnect('cluster0-shard-00-02.pj6wi.mongodb.net:27017: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable')>]>

which seems like the database is unreachable (which is not the case, since the connection on the login node works fine). Is it possible that I need to tweak Fireworks in order to make it work on the compute node? If so, is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

1 Like

If it’s possible to run interactive jobs on the compute node, my first suggestion would be to do that and see whether you can connect to MongoDB from the interactive job (try a direct connection using pymongo / MongoDB tools to avoid any issues that may be speific to FireWorks). If you can successfully get a connection to the MongoDB server from the compute node, then FireWorks should also work.

If you can’t get a connection to the MongoDB server from the compute node, you may need to try some hacky solution. These include:

• setting up MongoDB on the compute cluster itself, or installing the database anywhere that the compute nodes can actually connect to
  • ssh tunneling between login node and compute node - but you’ll need to keep the tunnel alive
  • FireWorks in “offline” mode (see docs), but honestly I don’t recommend this. It hasn’t been tested in awhile, is not a great experience when it works, and certain codes like atomate don’t support it

Dear Anubhav,

Thanks for the kind reply. I will try your suggestions and come back here to let you know what happens.

Thanks again for the help.