Why fix addforce or fix aveforce command doesn't work?

I’ve set up a quasi-two-dimensional sinusoidal surface with a piston on top, and I want to apply pressure by applying a force to the upper atoms, using fix addforce or fix aveforce, but I’m using fix addforce or fix aveforce to tell the upper atoms not to move, right? Why is that? Is there a solution?

My command line is as follows:

variable xlo equal 0
variable xhi equal 71.34
variable ylo equal 0
variable yhi equal 71.34
variable zlo equal 0
variable zhi equal 300
variable sub_lattice equal 3.567
variable n index 4
variable amp equal {n}*{sub_lattice}
variable peri_length equal 71.34
variable off_distance equal 3*{sub_lattice}+{amp}
variable zz internal 0.0
variable v equal "v_zz < (v_amp* cos(v_xx * 2.0*PI/(v_peri_length)) +v_off_distance ) "
variable liquidheight equal 71.34
variable liquidzlo equal {off_distance}+{amp}+3.567
variable liquidzhi equal {liquidzlo}+{liquidheight}
variable upwallzlo equal {liquidzhi}+3.567 variable upwallzhi equal 3*{sub_lattice}+{upwallzlo} variable upwallfix1 equal {upwallzhi}-{sub_lattice} variable pressurexlo equal {xhi}/2-5
variable pressurexhi equal {xhi}/2+5 variable pressurezlo equal {liquidzlo}+5
variable pressurezhi equal ${liquidzlo}+15

units metal
dimension 3
atom_style atomic
boundary p p p
neighbor 3 bin
neigh_modify delay 0 every 1 check yes
region box block {xlo} {xhi} {ylo} {yhi} {zlo} {zhi} units box
create_box 3 box
mass 1 18.0154
mass 2 12.0107
mass 3 12.0107
lattice fcc {sub_lattice} region upwall block {xlo} {xhi} {ylo} {yhi} {upwallzlo} {upwallzhi} units box create_atoms 3 region upwall group upwall type 3 lattice fcc {sub_lattice}
create_atoms 2 box var v set x xx set z zz
group downwall type 2
region liquid block {xlo} {xhi} {ylo} {yhi} {liquidzlo} {liquidzhi} units box
create_atoms 1 random 12000 562345 liquid
group liquid type 1
write_data ${n}.data

region liquidpressure block {pressurexlo} {pressurexhi} INF INF {pressurezlo} {pressurezhi} units box
group liquidpressure region liquidpressure
pair_style hybrid sw lj/cut 10.0
pair_coeff * * sw mW.sw mW NULL NULL
pair_coeff 2 2 lj/cut 0.054827 2.629042
pair_coeff 3 3 lj/cut 0.054827 2.629042
pair_coeff 1 2 lj/cut 0.003 2.897291721
pair_coeff 1 3 lj/cut 0.001 2.629042
pair_coeff 2 3 lj/cut 0.001 2.629042
dump 1 all atom 1000 $n101_relax.lammpstrj
fix 1 upwall setforce 0.0 0.0 0.0
fix 2 downwall setforce 0.0 0.0 0.0
min_style cg
minimize 1.0e-12 1.0e-12 10000 10000
unfix 1
compute liquidtemp liquid temp
velocity liquid create 300 3652456 dist gaussian rot yes units box
timestep 0.01
thermo 1000
thermo_modify temp liquidtemp
fix upwall_force upwall aveforce 0 0 -1000 region upwall
fix liquid_nvt liquid nvt temp 300.0 300.0 1
run 10000

Thanks

A solution to what problem? Your message is super unclear.

Btw:

• if you apply the aveforce command on a solid block, the region keyword seems unnecessary,
  • if you apply the fix nvt on a sub-group of atoms, you must use something like fix_modify liquid_nvt temp liquidtemp, otherwise the temperature of your system will be wrong, particularly with frozen blocks with temperature 0
  • I would set the initial velocity of your frozen groups equal to 0, just to be safe

I set up a quasi-two-dimensional sinusoidal surface with a piston on the top, and I want to apply pressure to the atoms on the top. I’m using fix addforce or fix aveforce commond here to try to make the yellow layer move down, and you can see I’m putting a downward force on the top layer, but there’s actually no movement on that layer. Why ?

There are really a lot of issues with your script, including the issues I pointed out in my previous message. But specifically, the wall does not move because you have no fix taking care of updating its positions. For the same reason, the fix 2 is irrelevant.

Actually fix nvt will correctly thermostat the temperature of a group (that isn’t all). But fix npt will indeed thermostat based on the temperature of all. This makes sense because thermostatting some atoms and not others can be sensible; but barostatting changes the box dimensions and this affects all atoms (unless you use the dilate setting).

The documentation does clarify this (see the documentation for fix nvt, search for fix-ID_temp).

Good to know !